I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Titanium chrome rod finish with green wrap
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.216.---)
Date: September 14, 2013 05:26PM

Anyone have any pics to share of Rainshadow titanium chrome blanks with shades of green thread? Or recommendatons for green based wraps? I've done a lot of them using reds, looking for something different. Prefer classy to flashy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Titanium chrome rod finish with green wrap
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2013 06:42PM

Michael,
I much prefer to use a main guide wrap thread that will match the blank, so that the thread tends to disappear. If desired, I will put a couple of contrasting trim bands in metallic to class it up a bit.

I very much dislike a bright non matching thread for the main thread wrap.

But, everyone has certain preferences.

By the way, the general rule that I use is that if the guide is black - then gold with green make a great combination.

But if the guide is silver or chrome, then I never use gold or green. Rather I use silver and blue for contrast. I find that gold and green tends to clash with chrome or silver.

But blue, silver and matching colors of blue go very very well with the chrome.

My wife is an artist - and I always follow her direction when it comes to colors. Thus far, she has never gotten it wrong. (at least from the nice comments that have come back from the happy clients).

Be safe

Date: September 14, 2013 06:43PM

Michael,
Do yourself a favor and get your self a color wheel.

Keep one at your bench when making color choices. They are really a great help.

[www.google.com]

Date: September 14, 2013 06:46PM

Some silver color combinations:

[www.colorcombos.com]

Date: September 14, 2013 06:48PM

Date: September 14, 2013 09:03PM

I have a color wheel, I've visited the color designer sites, I've done many rods with matching or "stealth" wraps, my daughter in law is an interior designer who I consult when in doubt, most of my titanium chrome rods have been done with garnet without CP, with silver metallic trim, which is a very beautiful, rich, combination. Next most common wrap I've used with this blank is medium grey without CP which just about disappears on the blank. But now I'm interested in a green, most likely a dark green, but open to suggestions that will give a rich, classy, look. I will do some test wraps, first ones most likely with dark green/medium or light gray and silver trim, maybe a black thread for contrast. I was hoping to get some pics of actual rods with titanium chrome blanks. Guide color not yet decided. thanks, Mick

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 14, 2013 09:49PM

And I, unlike Roger, like a contrast. But for some reason I have never used much of a so called earth tones. I have a couple of those titanium colored blanks that I have yet to wrap. I'll be curious to see what you come up with.

I use garnet a lot and it is good to know it works well. Funny how color preferences change as blank colors change, When blanks were white I used a lot of yellow, white, and red. Now I use a lot more black, silver, and gold. Still use a lot of red and purple.

I also have a copper pearl blank (st. croix) that I'm debating over colors. About the only thing the catches my eye is a rather loud orange......which just seems downright weird as a guide wrap color for some reason.

I do think blue sounds nice Roger:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.static.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: September 15, 2013 12:36AM

You might consider a light and medium jade with black inlays and black guides. The jade is not flashy.

Another color you might consider is a maroon with metallic silver.

I've had quite a few folks ask for red and black with the titaium chrome blanks as you mentioned above.

Some of these combinations seem to draw attention to the thread and away from the rod. IMO I'm not a fan of fading a thread into the color of the blank. The TC color, to me, seems to be neutral allowing a lot of color conbinations with thread and guides.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: September 15, 2013 01:34AM

I'm with Roger don't like fancy wraps.
On titanium dark thread with some inlays [www.emfishing.fr].
Hope this help.

Otherwise medium to dark Green without CP.

Date: September 15, 2013 08:31AM

Sharp, Eric. Russell, the Gudbrod garnet, and probably Pro Wrap merlot,too, gives a rich sweet cherry color when CP is not used. It is beautiful on the titanium chrome blank. Mark, I'll take a look at the jade-I used it on a grey blank with natural abalone, black guides, and it came off well. Your maroon suggestion is most likely a lot like the garnet, which I'm sure would be good. Russell, I just did a St Croix Avid fly rod in olive with CP for the main wrap with very thin orange trim, and it looks very rich-not sure if it would work on the copper or not, but orange (copper too?) and green are opposite on the color wheel. I think it might work if you put a black single wrap outside the orange trim to separate the copper from the orange. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 15, 2013 10:58AM

I'm not familiar with titanium chrome guides so I can't follow this discussion of colors. Titanium and chrome are different elements; one is bright silver and the other is dark gray. What color(s) are these guides? Are they an alloy or a plated base metal?

Date: September 15, 2013 12:03PM

Eric,
I like the wrap that you used on the titanium blank.

It is interesting in that I built a rod yesterday with the identical thread colors. It came out great.
The guides that I used on the rod were the tich finish guides which are a very close match to the blank.

i.e. I used black for the guide wraps with a metallic emerald green and a silver band.
Great combination.

Be safe

Date: September 15, 2013 12:11PM

Phil, "titanium chrome" is what the finish on the RX 8 Rainshadow blanks is called. Look on their site at their blanks and you'll see it.

Date: September 15, 2013 12:18PM

Sorry Phil, I cannot find the colors of their blanks on their site. If you have a hard copy catalog of theirs, even one that's a few years old, you should see it in there. It is a slightly metallic silver grey, sort of a metallic medium grey. As stated above, it is very close to the color of titanium guides and medium grey thread without CP.

Date: September 15, 2013 12:21PM

Phil, this is a pretty good image: [dctackle.com]

Note it is glossy.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.sub-70-196-197.myvzw.com)
Date: September 15, 2013 01:55PM

Why not just start each wrap with a couple turns of green and fade into the stealth color of choice. You could then do several things. 1) finish in the stealth color. 2) wrap the stealth color and fade back to the green to match the other end.
Just what I would do anyway.....

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2013 05:47AM

Sherman Williams, Behr, and probably others have apps for your iPhone.

For the Sherman Williams app, you take a picture, expand and crop, then select the area that best matches the color and shade. The app will provide the color name and matching colors. It also provides the RGB color values as well as other functions. The apps from Sherman Williams and Behr are free.

Don Becker

Date: September 16, 2013 04:07PM

Thanks, Don, but I have a dumb phone:-)

Will check the site. thanks, Mick

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2013 02:07AM

I had a dumb phone that I really liked. The owner wasn't smart and got sand in the phone.
Now I can accept credit cards.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 17, 2013 01:44PM

Almost any color looks great on the Ti Chrome blanks...

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster