I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cutting eva?
Posted by: Arturo Zambarrano Jr. (---.scansafe.net)
Date: September 12, 2013 09:20PM

I wanted to know is it ok to cut inches off of EVA? If so, does anyone have any advice or technique they would want to share?

Thanks

Art

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cutting eva?
Posted by: chris short (101.172.255.---)
Date: September 12, 2013 09:24PM

I turn the Eva and cut with a blade in clamp grips just be careful

CKR

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 12, 2013 09:49PM

If you have a lathe, grasp a section of D or E thread between your fingers and holding it taut, bring it down across the spinning EVA like you would a cheese cutter on cheese. It will slice the EVA in a couple seconds.

Failing that, you can wrap a piece of masking tape around the EVA to use as a straightedge, and slice it cleaning with a razor blade.

Allow a little more length than you want the finished grip to be, as there will be some slight compression when you mount it onto the blank. I'd cut it about 1/8th to 3/16th inch longer than the final length I desire.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 12, 2013 09:50PM

Best way....mount the EVA grip on a shaft, spin at high speed, and use a piece of guide wrapping thread to cut it.

Next best if you have none of that....wrap some tape around the grip to create a straight edge where you want to cut and using a sharp razor blade score around that until you cut through. Sand the edge to make it square.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2013 11:35PM

I keep a spool of 10 lb Spectra fishing line to use for pull strings. When I cut eva, I pull off a short length of spectra , chuck the eva in my lathe and use the spectra to cut the eva. Very clean,very even cut.

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2013 04:13AM

I hear of Rod Buiilders say the best way to cut eva is to put it on lathe and use fishing line or vice grips with a razo blade.Yes you will cut eva but not safe.The best way to cut eva is with the Marchisella Eva Cutting Jig it will cut eva safer and more accurately.Cuts square round eva and cork.The tool can be made for few dolllars.If you want more Info on the tool rodmaker volume 13 issue 4 or e-mail me billsreelworld@aol.com

Date: September 13, 2013 04:13AM

I hear of Rod Buiilders say the best way to cut eva is to put it on lathe and use fishing line or vice grips with a razo blade.Yes you will cut eva but not safe.The best way to cut eva is with the Marchisella Eva Cutting Jig it will cut eva safer and more accurately.Cuts square round eva and cork.The tool can be made for few dolllars.If you want more Info on the tool rodmaker volume 13 issue 4 or e-mail me billsreelworld@aol.com

Date: September 13, 2013 04:29AM

I hear some rod makers say the best way to cut eva is with fishing line or razo blade and vice grips yes you will cut the eva but not safely.The best way to cut eva is with the Marchisella Eva cutting Jig. Cuts square and round eva cork.If you want more Info. Rodmaker Magazine volume 13 issue4 or e-mail me billsreelworld@aol.com

Posted by: Arturo Zambarrano Jr. (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: September 13, 2013 05:20AM

Thanks everyone!! Bill M., I'll just try it with the masking tape and sharp razor blade, but I'll email you if I change my mind. Thanks again!!

Posted by: Greg Cudnik (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: September 13, 2013 07:39AM

Use thread!!!!

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2013 01:15PM

For cutting trim rings of equal thickness, I mount the EVA/Hypalon on a scrap blank then cut it with a pair of scalpels that I have clamped together with a spacer between them to achieve the thickness that I want, then while spinning, I run them in much like a lathe tool. I first round square blocks. Works well for me.

Date: September 13, 2013 02:31PM

If you are going to go the razor blade route, be very careful. There is something about a spinning mandrel and a razor blade that does not sound good. If you are going to be using thread, do not wrap the thread around your fingers for safety purposes.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 13, 2013 07:52PM

Hello All.

I use a piece of rather thin wire connected at each end with a wooden handle.

Keep the Ten Together!!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 14, 2013 02:47AM

You've all seen em, those cheap copeing saw frames made of light metal. Remove the blade that comes with it and replace it with a peice of an old high "E" string from the Martin or Tele that you just restrung. Wrap the string around one end with a haywire twist and then because the frame is so light you can flex the other end to create tension on the string after its wrapped and released. You now have a nifity little EVA knife/saw with a handle.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: September 14, 2013 01:33PM

Take that same saw and add 32lb. stainless leader wire and you have a eva tool that will last long time.

Date: September 14, 2013 05:16PM

Bill, I had to look up issue 13-4 to see that you had coverted the copeing frame for that same reason. I like he way you strung the leader material,looks very professional. I don't play mine, I just use it to cut EVA.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: September 14, 2013 07:03PM

Dennis,
My original jig was made with a spool of thread attached to it, so when the thread broke, I was able to replace it fast. But, I knew there had to be a better way; that was the stainless steel. It lasts a long time. I still have the original wire on it and I cut a lot of eva. So I do not play mine either!

Date: September 15, 2013 12:05PM

Looks great Bill, I like the way it attaches to the uprite for cutting. They should come standard on all new Renzitti lathes.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: September 15, 2013 02:25PM

Dennise, You can cut eva fast and accrate. Like slicing bologna with that jig

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2013 02:37PM

A quick safety note: For those who want to simply hold monofilament or thread and use a lathe, as Tom stated, hold it between your fingers with the tag ends free.

DO NOT EVER wrap the thread/mono around your fingers or hand. If you do this and it catches you WILL break something on your body pretty severely. 1/2 HP motors spinning at 4000 RPM are rather unforgiving.

Only stating this as I didn't see it mentioned and while I personally think it is common sense, safety cannot be overstated. I have watched how quickly a loose 1/4" mandrel can become a deadly weapon on a lathe with a tailstock that was not set properly. If these things can bend 1/4" solid steel like its not there, I do not care to see what one will do to a careless hand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster