I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G Loomis GLX Warranty Question
Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (172.56.20.---)
Date: September 11, 2013 03:54PM

A few years back I converted a glx jig casting rod that was 7'5" 17-25lb into a spinning rod. I tried to call loomis and buy just the blank at any cost, but they would not sell it to me. In the conversation I asked if I were to convert and make a spinning rod would it be covered under warranty. Customer service told me that I would have to expedite it, but yes for the advanced no question asked fee I would get the original rod. I already had the rod and really liked the blank, so what the @#$%&, I stripped it and converted to a spinning rod. Now its a few years later and the rod has been discontinued and is no available for expedite. The only thing I can do now is send it in for an estimate at their mercy. My funds are so tight that I didnt want to send it in and get some crazy estimate I couldnt afford. I have the expedite fee of 100 but barely any money after that. Has anyone had to deal with a similar claim and can possible tell me what to expect? All I have for them is a stripped blank with no label

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G Loomis GLX Warranty Question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 11, 2013 04:41PM

Only G. Loomis can tell you what to expect. You're talking about a rod that is several years old and which has been stripped, rebuilt and stripped again. You really need to call them and ask about the particulars here. Nobody else can tell you what they will do.

Date: September 11, 2013 04:56PM

I did try that earlier but couldn't get any particulars out of them and was only told that it needed to be sent in and evaluated. If I was in a better spot financially it wouldn't be a big deal, but I just lost my job and fear sending a rod in I wont be able to afford. I was just hoping to get some kind of a number to know whether I can afford to send it in or have to wait.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: September 11, 2013 04:59PM

I don't know how anyone here would have that information if Loomis doesn't. I also don't understand why you would send in a rod that isn't broken to have it replaced with another one just like what you had at the start. What am I missing?

Date: September 11, 2013 05:19PM

Sorry forgot to mention that I broke it, figured that was a given. I was simply hoping someone has had a similar experience with loomis, whether a recent glx blank warranty or a modified rod warranty. I know its not standard practice to strip factory rods and repurpose, but hoped at worst case senario to get a close as possible blank warranty to salvage something. I tried to confirm this prior to the build but policy has changed since. Any experience with loomis warranty and costs associated would be helpful.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 11, 2013 06:32PM

Well, not trying to sound mean or uncaring here.....but I think you have to ask yourself what are your options,

1) Keep what you have and try to repair it.
2) Send it in and hope not matter what you have to pay you will be better off than the first option.

Lets keep in mind you had the rod awhile and rebuilt it. I'm assuming you don't think it is actually a "factory defect" after all this time and alteration. Seems the best you can hope for is 100% credit of the original price minus the $100 expedite fee. Ask yourself what you would do if the tables were turned.

FWIW I'm considering re-building a factory built st. croix so I do understand what you are going through. Makes me think I am better off taking adavantage of the exchange program now rather than hoping I will never need to in the future.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (172.56.2.---)
Date: September 11, 2013 07:43PM

St. Croix is alot easier to deal with then loomis in my experiences. My dad recently broke a fifteen year old legend and the rep at the local store exchanged it for a new legend inshore with ti kigans for nothing with no questions. I had a bad experience with Loomis during a hurricane evacuation some years back where I had to put rods in my maverick gunnel rod holders. After being gone for two days in early October, open air, all my loomis rods kept the shape of the hull. I had four rods with a built in parabolic action. All my St. Croix and ext. where fine. When I called Loomis they said that it would take excess of 200 degrees to cause that and it was my fault. To me, that is a factory defect and @#$%& that they wouldnt work with me. After going through that, I made sure to verify that the rod of topic would be covered down the road. Its now down the road, and I am only looking for the option that I pre confirmed not handouts. In any other situation Id chock it up as a complete loss, but the warranty was the deciding factor for me essentially using a $440 blank.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (206.29.182.---)
Date: September 11, 2013 07:47PM

I have 2 GLX rods but the only one I have broken was an early production 6 wt.fly rod. They repaired it no charge.
I think age makes a difference on how the warranty is covered, or at least it did 5 years ago.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (206.29.182.---)
Date: September 11, 2013 07:59PM

I have 2 GLX rods but the only one I have broken was an early production 6 wt.fly rod. They repaired it no charge.I think age makes a difference on how the warranty is covered, or at least it did 5 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2013 10:00PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 11, 2013 08:57PM

In my opinion you could probably purchase a much better blank for less money than the hundred dollar expedited fee. Not to mention the cost you'll incur with shipping. Lots of blanks to choose from MHX, Batson, St Croix and others that won't break the bank.

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2013 09:03PM

back in the day loomis would send you a new one and you would put your broken rod in the tube the new came in and send it back. if you didnt send one back you would be charged full price for the rod. now i did this back before shimano bought them out. it was $40 dollars to do this and the one i had to send back was a sur1448c. its a $100 now and a different company

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: September 12, 2013 09:37AM

100% agree with Lance, go build yourself a modern rod on a modern blank. Plenty very good ones to chose from under $100.

BTW this is NOT a warranty issue.
What you are talking about is an insurance issue. Loomis /Shimano may be their own underwriters or have externalized that cost/risk somehow.
I hate companies that call their insurance all risk type policy a warranty; its not and that makes custom builders look bad as we offer warranties not all risk insurance.
Slam your rod in a car door or get it hurt in a storm is NOT a warranty issue.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 12, 2013 09:53AM

WHAT LANCE SAID
Or Try here [northforkcomposites.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2013 12:06PM

Dennis,
What is wrong with the rod?

There are very few broken rods that can not be repaired very well at next to no cost.

Do you have all of the pieces of the broken rod, if that is the problem?

Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (172.56.11.---)
Date: September 12, 2013 12:40PM

I am an amatuer at best and didnt realize you could fix a broken graphite rod that is broken probably 14" down. How is this even possible without oversleving the broken area?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 12, 2013 01:27PM

This will help

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster