I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji Graphite reel seats
Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2013 02:58PM

I am building a 450gr heavy parabolic rod. I have been told that I should not use a aluminum reel seat because this blank will bend all the way into the handle where the reel seat will be placed. They suggested a Fuji graphite reel seat but on one of their test rods, the fuji reel seat was damaged. I will be mounting a international 50 sized reel and am wondering what are the recommendations for the strongest graphite seat that fuji makes the will accommodate a 50 size reel?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji Graphite reel seats
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2013 03:08PM

Heavy IFGA offshore trolling rod blanks bend all the way into the stiff aluminum uni-butt ferrules, too. Rarely do they break at that point. They're made to do it and you'll find out that your blank will handle an aluminum seat if you wish to use one. The amount of flex per inch is very, very little.

Fuji does have some heavy duty graphite/nylon boat type seats and I'd recommend one of those over their standard seat if you decide to go that way. Just make sure that if you intend to employ the forward reel clamp and/or the seat strap you support the corresponding areas under the reel seat with a solid arbor.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 10, 2013 03:54PM

I have used the fuji DPSH seat. Never had one fail but never pushed it much past 30-40# class. International 50 is a big heavy reel no matter how you slice it. I'd be thinking uni-butt and leaving it in the rod holder.

Are you planning to vertical jig with that reel?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 10, 2013 04:36PM

The blank was originally intended for heavy jigging. It will be a combination jigging and standup tuna rod using 130# line. It is my understanding that the failed fuji reel seat was caused by using in excess of 60# of drag. The hood failed and I do not know if a reel clamp was used although I would assume so.

Date: September 10, 2013 04:54PM

I'm always amazed when I hear about people fishing that much drag. Partly because I was taught to set my drag at 25% of breaking strength.....and partly because I have weighed buckets of water and seen what people can lift.

I would have to try one of the high end full harness. As it stands now, I'd say 30#'s of drag is the maximum I could fish for any meaningful fish/time. And then it would have to be dead calm seas with no concern for footing/balance......and maybe knowing I had a soft place to land if the line broke suddenly!!! I guess I'm a wimp:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 10, 2013 09:02PM

I just returned from Prince Edward Island where I fished standup with a Braid harness/belt. I fished 60# of drag and the fish thought nothing of it and quickly pulled off line from my 50SW. It measured 112 inches and weight approximated at 900#s. I needed a bigger reel with more drag. Headed for Puerto Vallarta next and need this next build for yellowfin tuna in the 200# range.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 11, 2013 04:15AM

Hello Mel.

Are you tied down so you won't get pulled in, I have seen a couple of guy's that thought they fish 50# drag with 120-150#(don't remember which) line.

Both of them only weighed between 175-180# and both went swimming and were lucky enough to get the rod loose from the harness before they drowned (it was close).

An accidental Great White or Marlin hook-up can be a fast and strong sudden pull and you over board you can go with that much drag.

Good Luck.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lnse3.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 11, 2013 07:09AM

Mel is this going to be a Black Hole? The Giant blank might be better for this application.
In any event due to the gap between an Aliminium seat and the blank should mean the small amount of flex will be buffered by the Arbor.
Just a thought.

Date: September 11, 2013 04:20PM

Hi Mark. Yes it is the 450 gr Black Hole blank. In fact I am waiting for shipment today by Fedex. I built the Black Hole Giant blank a month ago and had it at PEI but did not get bit on it. The giant rod will go to PV but I needed something a bit lighter and Kil told me to get this 450 gr blank. I've seen pictures of it on a PEI Giant and it bends all the way into the handle past the reel seat.

At PEI, they had me leashed to a rope just in case. My harness has a small pocket sewn in where I keep my line cutter just in case I need to cut the line in a hurry. The cutter is on a short leash so that I just need to pull on it to get it out. The cutter looks like an oversized letter openner with a protected razor blade. Greatest concern is the line getting tangled on the tip or the reel backlashing while on a big fish.

I only weigh 150#s and I was fishing with 200# test line. We tested the drag with a scale and it registered 60 at full. That was not enough drag and I wish that we had gotten bit on one of the heavier rigs that I brought.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lnse3.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 11, 2013 04:45PM

I would love to experience that! The stuff dreams are made of.

I think a metal seat would work but another option is to use an upgraded metal hood on the graphite seat.

Date: September 11, 2013 05:22PM

Mel, sounds like you know what you are doing. Glad to hear your have your bases covered with regards to personal safety. I envy you...I ...err....think. Probably rather have a fighting chair and a cold one at hand:) At least those cow yellowtails will feel small now.

Oh, and no way I'd trust a graphite reel seat. I'd be thinking aftco, winthrop, or stuart (if on a budget). I might even pay to get the front hood tig welded. I'd want a real strong mount for a rod leash....cuz if you wrap around the tip you might need to let everything go in a hurry.

After your PEI experience it sounds like you could talk yourself into another reel. I could think of a couple of euro brands and at least one from cali I'd lust over.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 11, 2013 10:44PM

I think that I would like another 50 size reel with more drag. Been thinking Makaira. However, my other two rods were mounted with a Intl 70 and 80. Just a luck of the draw.

Date: September 12, 2013 11:54AM

Mark Gwynne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would love to experience that! The stuff dreams
> are made of.
>
> I think a metal seat would work but another option
> is to use an upgraded metal hood on the graphite
> seat.

Hi Mark. Definitely a trip of a lifetime.... but we are going to do it again next year. The season is so short at PEI and we missed the big migration of the herring by a couple of days but still got our fish. Going to delay by one week next year but you must hurry as spots fill very quickly and there are just 28 boats.

What suggestions would you have regarding a graphite seat with upgraded metal hood? The fuji heavy seat does not have a metal hood. How would you upgrade? Someone do this as a aftermarket? Thanks.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 13, 2013 05:19AM

Hello Mel.

MudHole has PacBay Channel Lock Reel Seats in the 2013 Catalog on page 139 on top, Sizes 20, 22, 24.

Tight Wraps & Bent Rods.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: September 13, 2013 05:46PM

Thank you for that. I also notice that American Tackle also has graphite seats with aluminum hoods. Anyone else use these and will they fit the 50 Internationals?

Date: September 14, 2013 10:59AM

This might be one of those times where it pays to contact the company and get advice. I would think someone at Fuji could provide info on what the reel seat has been tested at. They have been making them a long time. I would tend to trust the name and their body of work. I can't see that putting some aluminum over the top of the graphite is adding any meaningful strength.

Didn't the guy (kilsong??) selling the jigging blanks do some testing?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 14, 2013 05:00PM

Yes he did some testing using the fuji reel seat but the drag settings (excess of 60 lbs) used for testing the blank against giant bluefins exceeded the application recommended by the manufacturer. The blank held up without failure but the reel seat hood failed from the excess pressure thus I am looking for something a bit stronger. I did call Mudhole today and they first said to use an aluminum reelseat but stated that in its place they recommend the channel locks in size 24 because of the channeled groove makes it stronger. They also recommend not using the graphite inserts as they are more subject to crushing when using rod clamps.... they said do not over tighten rod clamps when using graphite reel seats.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster