I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rubberized/Spotted Cork Rings
Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 08, 2013 08:37PM

Has anyone ever used either of these to make a complete grip out of? If so, now is the material to turn on a lathe?

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

I want to try to use it for some grips on some walleye trolling rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rubberized/Spotted Cork Rings
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 09, 2013 12:53AM

Hello Mitch.

They are mostly used as trim because of their weight (kind of heavy) but a few people like them enough to not care about the weight.

Tight Wraps & Straight Guides.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: September 09, 2013 07:37AM

I've only used them as trim, but have noticed that the "spotted" is harder to shape due to it's black matrix heating up while trying to turn down. Definitely harder to get a smooth, eased edge with it, at least for me. Between the 2, I'd choose the reg rubberized. Being trolling rods, I guess you're not too concerned w/ their weight?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2013 09:36AM

They can always be cored if you want to reduce the weight.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2013 10:49AM

I use the rubberized cork for ends and caps because they are much more durable and resist chipping. When shaping on the lathe, they are easier to use regular turning tools and are less likely to tear out compared to regular or even burl cork. I've never made a full grip out of these but as Tom said, you could core them and use a urethane insert for weight reduction.

The burl corks are heavier than regular cork, but lighter than the rubberized. I've seem some beautiful grips made from these and finished with Tru Oil or regular varnish/urethane. These work particularly well for rear grips on spey rods as a little extra weight in the butt is desired. Again, you can core them for weight reduction. Most of the burls are tougher to sand than regular cork so if you use them as trim, use a sanding block to ensure even sanding between the two materials. Going with all burl removes this problem.

Terry

Posted by: Austin K McWhorter (66.171.208.---)
Date: September 09, 2013 12:09PM

I use them a lot for the ends of rods. They are heavy and I like to use them to balance out a tip heavy rod.

Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2013 07:46AM

Thanks! Im not too concerned with the weight since these will spend their life in a rod holder, plus the blanks diameter is larger so there wont be a ton of material left after reaming them to fit. Seems that they are ok to turn, so i think im going to give them a try.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster