I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

180 degree turn on wraps
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2013 05:05PM

I am just wondering about the 180 turn on the epoxied wraps, to get a level finish on the wraps, does that apply on the long deco wraps? I really don't have that much patience to sit and turn the rod the on the 180 degree turns, for like 2hrs, but does it do nice even job on them long deco wraps? I know it does on the guide wraps. Just wondering.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 180 degree turn on wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2013 05:08PM

It's the only way I've ever done them and I can lay a straightedge across a long wrap and it'll be about as close to perfect as I think you can get with a liquid finish.

Date: September 04, 2013 05:31PM

Ok Tom, it will try my patience, but I will have to try that on the next one, Thanks, Have a good one!

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2013 08:18PM

When I first started, I didn't have anything to turn my rods while drying/curing the finish. I cut two v grooves in opposite ends of a large cardboard box and rested the rod in it. Carefully avoiding any contact with the wrap or finished area. The I sat and watched TV and every minute or two, I would rotate the rod 180 degrees. Didn't take much patience, just had to keep the kids from running around.

Date: September 04, 2013 08:52PM

I sat and turned the rod about an hour, then I let it turn on the dryer, I guess I wasn't patient enough, but I will try to go all the way next time.

Posted by: chris short (101.173.85.---)
Date: September 05, 2013 07:32AM

Just woundering are the results any different between hand and machine turned

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 05, 2013 09:29AM

I believe hand turned, properly done, yields better results. But there are a lot of variables involved so I won't state this to be an absolute fact under any and all conditions.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: September 06, 2013 04:20PM

I just hand turn it for a while until it's level, then turn the dryer on and walk away.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 06, 2013 07:25PM

I think IMHO
it only applies to Dec Wraps
On guides wraps And A thread a thin finish with a fast turning wrapper Put on in a meadium coat will level very well with out any 180 turning
If you get Foot Balls Stop the machine and let the excess drip off There is to much finish on the wrap

I find guide wraps are easier

The Dec Wraps will take more finish to coat and IMHO should be flooded Then the machine stoped and a 180 turning done I usually do only maybe 8 turns The excess drips off and each turn levels what is on

But it may take several coats do get nice results

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster