I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Effective Length
Posted by: Thomas Bell (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2013 08:06PM

I recently built a 9 ft, 4 wt fly rod with a carbon fiber handle. Turned out it's one of the nicest fishing/casting rods I've ever used. My question is does the fiber handle actually shorten the 'effective' rod length? I'm guessing the rod does not flex thru the handle, so is the rod really an 8 footer (approx.).
Also, if the rod does not bend thru the handle, would this type of handle be suitable for hard fighting species like false albacore? I fish for these fish a lot and regularly bend my 10 wt 'through the cork'. I would hate to snap a rod at the end of the grip!
Thanks!

TJB

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Effective Length
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 03, 2013 08:25PM

No, it doesn't shorten anything. The point of effort remains where your fighting hand is, regardless of handle material. To shorten the lever, you move your hand forward. To lengthen it, move it towards the butt. The short section of grip material is of no practical consequence in terms of the lever you're using.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2013 08:49PM

Thomas,
I have always considered the "effective" rod length to be the rod length as measured from the top side of my hand, to the tip of the rod, as that rod is holding the rod in its normal fishing position.

Be safe

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns7.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 04, 2013 01:31AM

Hi Thomas,
At the recent SEARBS get together we had a new builder, Tony Davis, who builds some wonderful leather grips for removable butt game rods. He was impressed with the foam cores and thinks they would be a good replacement for the cork he is currently using. I had a 14 inch core from a mould and we put a lot of bend in it to see what happened, nothing, the core stayed intact and did not split despite putting a lot of effort into the bend. That was 6lb foam and you have the option of 8lb but it may or may not be better. I was toying with the idea of using a foam cored grip for a 30lb game rod rebuild and after seeing the amount of bend the core tolerated I have no hesitaion in using it. The blank I've got doesn't bend anywhere near what the core did.
I'm with Tom and Roger on effective length

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns2.bat.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 04, 2013 03:02AM

In the case of a spinning rod for example, I think of the 'effective' length or' fishable' length, as the length of the rod in front of the reel seat. Most often for a standard spinning rod, that length is varied by changing the length of the rear grip.

Dale

Hobart, TAS
Australia

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.216.---)
Date: September 04, 2013 08:15AM

Tom is right, it is the distance from the hand, which is where the "effort" is applied. Consider an infinitely rigid rod, stationary, but with a force pulling on the line, and do a "free body diagram" of it. A free body diagram shows where and how large the forces on a object are applied. The object, the rod, has to have all forces balanced or it will move. As the distance from the hand increases for longer and longer rods, the reactive torque and force applied to the rod will have to increase AT THE HAND. There is no other place to apply the reactive force and torque to the rod than through the hand. For two hands it gets more complicated, but for a single hand fly rod, its effective length is from the hand, where the reactive force and torque are applied.

Dale's example is correct in that it is at the reel that people grip a spinning rod and that is where the torque and force is applied. But move that single hand forward or back, and the effective length changes.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 04, 2013 09:21AM

When it comes to casting the "effective" length of a spey rod or a surf rod certainly includes the length of the handle behind the reel.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2013 10:05AM

If you also apply effort at that point, yes.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2013 02:05PM

With a spey or switch rod about 1/3d of the casting force is delivered from the far butt end of the rod. It is a combined a casting stroke from both hands.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster