I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Repair
Posted by: Chris Richer (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: September 03, 2013 07:49PM

I am in the process of completing a repair to an older 2 piece ultra light rod. The break is about 6" below the ferrule and 2" above the first guide. Due to this being a tip into butt rod, an oversleeve is not an option, so I am going with an inner sleeve. The sleeve is fit and will be glued with rod bond. I plan on filling the gaps between the two pieces with tinted rod bond. I will also overwrap the break area with A thread when the rod bond is dry and then coat with epoxy.

Questions:

1) Should I remove the finsh directly adjacent tothe break, wrap with black thread, then use colour preserver and epoxy? or
2) Leave the finish, wrap with black thread and coat with epoxy?

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repair
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2013 08:42PM

Chris,
You have indicated that the break is 6" from the Ferrule and 2" from the first guide.
I certainly see no issue about using an outer sleeve.

Perhaps you can tell me why an over sleeve won't work.

I have repaired many many rods, and generally always use both in inner sleeve, as well as an outer sleeve. I never trim the break. Rather, I use the break like a jig saw puzzle to put the edges of the break back together.
The ragged edges, give a much larger gluing area for the glue.

I always, firs prepare my inner sleeve, then the outer sleeve, and prefit every thing to check for fit.

Then, I mix up a batch of 5 minute epoxy, coat the 4 pieces with glue, assemble everything and when complete, but the glue not set, use DNA to clean up any excess adhesive.

Then, I simply use A sized thread to put a 1/4 inch wide thread wrap at each end of the outer sleeve to prevent any chance of splitting. I never worry about removing any finish. No issue with any of the many repairs that I have done over the years.

Generally speaking the entire repair takes me about 20 minutes, including the wrapping of the ends of the outer sleeve, and coating it with a coat of rod finish.

Good luck

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 03, 2013 09:47PM

X2 what Roger said, I do it the same way.

Date: September 03, 2013 10:23PM

It is a tip into butt rod. The ferrule at the top of the butt section is larger that the diameter where the repair is needed. Short of stripping and rebuilding the ferrule, an inner sleeve is the only option.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns7.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 04, 2013 01:44AM

Hi Chris,
You could make an outer sleeve and split it so you can get it over the broken area. When you glue it up bind it very tighly with some disposable thread. When dry remove the thread, clean up any excess glue then bind over with thread and finish. Would definitely be stronger than just thread alone. Ralph O'Quinn has suggested this techique for getting sleeves to fit on some repairs and his only concern was not to "tell" an aerospace engineer what you'd done!!

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: September 04, 2013 02:48AM

Chris,
Do me a favor if you can. Can you take a picture of the broken rod, so that I can better understand the issue?

Be safe

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns7.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 04, 2013 02:52AM

Roger,
There is one on the photopage.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.245.---)
Date: September 04, 2013 08:37AM

I knew there was something I forgot to include

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2013 10:18AM

Hey Chris,

Your repair idea will probably work but you can create an over-sleeve and split it to get it over the female ferrule on the butt section, then overwrap with thread after you glue it up. I would not clean up the break area and just fit it all together when you glue it as it will help the alignment.

Terry

Date: September 04, 2013 11:10AM

What orientation should the split be? Up? down? With the hoop strength compromised, where do you put the weak point?

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: September 04, 2013 11:54AM

From viewing the picture it looks to me that you could put the outside sleeve over the break by slipping it on intact right at the break itself avoiding having to split it at all.

Date: September 04, 2013 12:57PM

What is missing in the picture is the rather large ferrule above the break. I could slip an outside sleeve over the butt part of the break, but would not be able to insert the tip into the sleeve.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 04, 2013 01:13PM

Measure and Remove the guide that is 2" below the break so you can slide the oversleve down
After glued rewrap the guide on

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 04, 2013 01:36PM

Chris,
Can you take a larger picture of the rod break to include several inches on each side of the break, including the rod joint.

I still see no reason why you can't use an outer sleeve

By the way, as Bill pointed out, if a repair is done that is near a guide, I always take the guide off the rod before making the repair. Then, if you have an outer sleeve on the rod, have it extend to just under the guide foot. That way, when you wrap the guide back on, the over sleeve tends to blend right into the blank.

Thanks much
Be safe

Date: September 04, 2013 06:51PM

Posted a new picture.

Over all shot of the break. 6 inches from ferrule, 1.75 inches from guide foot. Diameters 6.9 mm at break, 7.78 mm at the ferrule.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: September 04, 2013 07:32PM

Chris,
Ah - said the blind man as he picked up the hammer and SAW.

After checking your picture, I understand your first post. I have just never run across a rod that had that appearance.

But, in any event, do an outer sleeve and an inner sleeve.

Very simple to do.

1. Remove the guide that is below the break, and clean up the blank for a nice smooth appearance.
2. Size an inner sleeve to nicely fit on both sides of the break.
3. Size an outer sleeve to fit on the outside of both sides of the break.
Remember, when you are doing the outer sleeve, you can first check the fit on the lower portion with the guide removed, and get the fit perfect. Then, trim or enlarge as needed to allow the outer sleeve to slip up the blank - toward the rod joint.

Leaving the outer sleeve that has been properly sized on the upper portion of the blank - below the joint, do a prefit of the inner, outer and rod blank for fit and appearance. If it all matches, mix up a batch of 5 minute epoxy - goop up the inner sleeve and the break and push together. Then, pushing the outer sleeve up to the joint, grease up the blank with 5 minute epoxy well up the blank. By greasing up the blank, well up the blank, when you go to slide the outer sleeve down the blank, the glue will be sucked up inside the outer sleeve. Being careful not to disturb the inner sleeve or joint, then move the outer sleeve into its final position.

Again, before the epoxy has cured, clean up the several inches of blank that were coated with epoxy to get the inside of the outer sleeve coated, as it was slid down the blank.

Finally, wrap on and coat the guide and you are done.

------------------------
I think you made the assumption about not being able to do an outer sleeve because the joint was larger that what would have been the inside diameter of the outer sleeve. But, as I stated, no need to slid the outer sleeve over the joint. Just put the outer sleeve in place from the break.

Thanks for posting the picture so that I could understand your first post.

Be safe

Date: September 04, 2013 08:41PM

Thanks for the info Roger.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster