I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

telescoping rods, bump out to protect first guide
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: September 01, 2013 04:11PM

Building a 7.5 foot telescoping flipping stick. When the rod collapses I want to protect the first guide from banging on the butt section edge of the rod. I wrapped a 1/2" thread bump out in front of the first guide and have put 4 coats of high build on it but the OD is still to small to stopping the rod before it hits the guide. I will continue to put high build on it until it is large enough but is there a better way to do this for future rods?
Thanks,
Buzz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: telescoping rods, bump out to protect first guide
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2013 04:16PM

Yes, don't put the first guide where it will collapse into the leading edge of the butt section, either that or epoxy a hypalon bumper in place below the first guide.

Posted by: John Lentz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 01, 2013 05:24PM

Why not build something up inside the Butt section? Maybe a ring glued inside at the proper place to act as a stop.

John

Posted by: David Lynch (198.74.46.---)
Date: September 01, 2013 06:35PM

+1 on what John said. I glue the proper length of eva in butt of blank on all the flipin stixs i build for a sort of shock absorber. I think it would work in your situation.

Date: September 01, 2013 06:46PM

Easier to put a bumper below the first guide.

Posted by: Hal Lambert (---.flo.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 01, 2013 10:09PM

I have used the Eva trick before but on the last one I did as Todd Vivian suggested and epoxied a piece of scrap blank inside the butt section that is long enough to prevent this. It has worked out great!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 01, 2013 10:09PM

John is on the right track - if you're not going to put the butt guide out far enough to prevent bumping, put a stop inside the butt section. This can be as simple as a cork plug or a short section of scrap blank sleeve.

Date: September 01, 2013 11:04PM

Then what do you have a piece of cork or EVA sticking out of the butt section? Not that that would be any worse than a bumper in front of the guide.?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 02, 2013 12:18AM

It goes inside the blank where you can't see it.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 02, 2013 07:02AM

I would cut a cork and epoxy it inside the butt section.

Posted by: Andres Perez (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2013 02:26PM

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but as long as we are on the subject; where can I purchase telescoping rod blanks? Thanks, Andres Perez

Date: September 05, 2013 08:03PM

I would like to know where in the blank it goes? Is it a piece of cork sticking out of the back end of the tip portion, or where?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster