I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Prep Topic
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: August 30, 2013 11:53AM

Everybody seems to use power devices. I just bought a l-o-n-g bastard file and make about three long passes down across the guide foot in the direction of ring to foot and get nice smooth taper. Small guides only take one pass. Just passing it along.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Prep Topic
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 30, 2013 01:30PM

3 long passes to grind down an Aftco WInd-on guide? Nice

Date: August 30, 2013 01:32PM

That's what I'm talking about! A long agressive file used correctly will remove a lot of metal in a long swipe! Just keep the teeth clean with a file card so they are not filled with particles and the file will continue to cut like all get out on each pass.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 30, 2013 03:04PM

Many people don't know that most files only cut in one direction. Every time you pull a file back across a surface under pressure, you dull it. I'd guess most home hobbyists ruin a file the first time they use it.

A file is no good without a file card.

The only trouble with files on smaller guides is that they can cut too quickly and often you remove too much material or get into a finger.

None of this is any reason not to use a file, but like any hand tool, it takes some practice to get the most out of it.

Date: August 30, 2013 03:19PM

All very true!

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2013 05:59PM

If doing it by hand and no power, I would opt for either an India stone, Ceramic stone or a Diamond stone. I have never used a file. I have over 1,000 files of all sizes and shapes and it never occurred to me to use one on a guide foot. Too coarse.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 30, 2013 07:24PM

I hand file with assorted needle files. I tried to power prep some guides but ended up removing too much material and "burning" the guide feet. Hand filing works best for me. After I file, I smooth and slightly polish with MicroMark "flexi files".

Rog

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2013 10:34AM

James,
I only have two hands and find it difficult to hold a long file with one hand and the guide with the other hand to do a hand file of the guide.

This is one of the reasons that I much prefer the use of the power vertical belt sander.
Easy to hold the guide and guide it against the spinning vertical belt sander to get the perfect finish on the guide in a second or two.

By the way, I don't understand the posts about folks who say that they "polish" their guides after filing or sanding. Why?

Whenever I sand, I always sand perpendicular to the length of the guide foot. This sanding with 150 or 220 grit sanding paper leave tiny scratches in the surface of the guide that do a very nice job in holding the thread on the guide. The scratches are not so large that they have any negative affect on the thread, but certainly make it easier to wrap the guide without having the thread slip off the guide foot.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Collier (---.pa-nj.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 03, 2013 10:18AM

I have 2 adapters that thread right on to the spindle of my renzetti lathe. I use 1 for a fine grinding stone and 1 for a wire brush. I first grind them and then a wire brush them. They come out nice and smooth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster