I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mad-Swirl - Pointers
Posted by: Jeremy Reed (205.204.248.---)
Date: August 29, 2013 09:22AM

I just want to throw out a few pointers when using the product.

The bottles must be shaken pretty good. They have a little rattle ball in them like a spray can that helps mixing the paint. After shaking the paint, I recommend letting it sit for 5 or so minutes. When you shake it, bubbles are created. If you put the paint down on the water right after shaking, the bubble will drip out also, and sometimes they will cause "openings" or places where there is no paint in your design. If you get bubbles, you can use a toothpick to pop them on the water.

Regarding the top coat, I made this post on facebook also, I would not recommend auto clear or urethane as the top coat over a softer base. It will work if you a firm base. I dinged up some grips that I had on 6lb foam and only a water based poly urethane and no sleeve. The paint is still good, but the grip got a little indention after a lot of use. This is why I ultimately recommened 8lb foam if you use foam. If you plan on using a carbon fiber sleeve, 6 lb foam will work fine. You will also be able to expose areas of the carbon fiber by using auto detail tape. Just put the tape on the carbon fiber grip, prime, and dip. After the dip, remove the tape, and now you have exposed areas where you can see your carbon fiber grip.

I haven't had any problems with the epoxy sold by Riley Rods as my top coat on any of my grips regardless of the base material. Also, thread finish will work, but it does not cure as hard as the Riley Rods epoxy. I know a lot of time went into finding the top coat used on Riley Rods carbon fiber grips, so I didn't try to re-invent the wheel. I tried about 5 different top coats and this is what I liked for protection and ease of use.

There have been a number of people to order kits already. I have 6 primary color kits left at this time and 8 metallic color kits. Once they are out, it will take me about a week to get my new shipment in. I also have every color available. For rod building, I recommend starting with the solid colors. The metallics are really nice but also have some transparency, so you will see what your base color is. If you have a significant other that loves crafts, a lot of people use the metallic colors to dip wine bottles and vases that way you can still see some of the glass. Metallics are also popular for people that are designing their own Christmas Ornaments.

Regarding a UV rating, we are waiting on the lab in Germany to give us the UV number. I had some inquiries about this so we requested testing. Just remember, whatever your topcoat is, it will also offer some protection if it has a UV inhibitor.

If you have any questions about using the product, feel free to give me a shout.

Take care,

Jeremy Reed
Reed Rods
www.reedrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 11:42AM by Jeremy Reed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mad-Swirl - Pointers
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 29, 2013 11:15AM

Hello Jeremy.

Thanks for the tips and information.

Good Day.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster