I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Wrap
Posted by: Ron Jack (---.port.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: August 26, 2013 12:12PM

I have built several rods using the simple spiral wrap with bumper guide, and several using the 0, 60, 120, 180 degree method. With the later, I placed the butt guide and did a static guide test. I placed the guides where they should go according to the static test. The second, third, and fourth guides from the butt I then placed at the 60, 120, and 180 degree position.

In reading some of the older posts on spiral wraps, I see where it was suggested to place the 60, 120, and 180 degree guides approximately 4" apart which would be different from the static test.

My question to this group is which is the better way of positioning these three guides and does one way work out better than the other. My first concern is stress on the blank and second is casting distance?

Thanks for your input.

Ron Jack
Bowdoin, Maine

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Wrap
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2013 12:39PM

Ron,
I simply put the butt guide in place, and put another guide about 3 feet down the rod on the bottom and let the line flow tell me where to put the guides.

Pretty simple.

By the way, I never put my butt guide at 0 degrees. I almost always put it at 3-10 degrees in the direction of the spiral to have the line stack in the best possible way on the reel.

I pull off about a 100 feet of line and then reel the line back on the rod under slight pressure. If I find that the line is stacking on either one or the other side of the reel, I will realign the butt guide until the line stacks straight on the reel.

Be safe

Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 26, 2013 12:45PM

3 feet down?
why so far?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 26, 2013 02:06PM

I would think because there will be several more in between ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 26, 2013 03:06PM

Thanks Roger

Ron Jack
Bowdoin, Maine

Date: August 26, 2013 03:14PM

Correct bill.
All guides are just taped in place, until the final alignment and positions are determined.

Be safe

Date: August 26, 2013 03:26PM

Roger, Am I correct that you don't worry about stress distribution for the three transition guides - but try and get the straightest path?

Ron

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 26, 2013 04:07PM

I check those guides with out pressur Addjust

Then with pressure on them try to get the guides where the line sits on the bottom of the ring close to the blank
I may change guides several times till I like the path and the way they rest on the guide rings

Then test cast

And addjust and even change guides --- again
I do this 2 - 3 hours Then when I think it is Nice
I put the rod up

The next day I play with it again With a FRESH mind
Ya a little over kill BUT -- It is custom built !!

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: August 26, 2013 04:46PM

Depends on taper of the blank.

Date: August 26, 2013 05:55PM

In contrast to Bill, I put on the butt guide one of the running guides midway down the blank, place the other guides on the blank with tape. Then, tweak for a few minutes, reel in about 100 feet of line under slack tension to be sure that the line flows correctly.

Total time spent about 10 minutes.

But, which ever works.

Be safe

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: August 29, 2013 10:07AM

Ron, you don't really tell us what the rod will be used for, other than your primary concern is to mitigate stress on the blank and the secondary concern is casting distance. What I get from this is that you are building some type of casting rod for large predator fish not smaller fish (the mitigate stress part). It would help if you clarified the target species, bait/presentation, and line test intended for this rod.

In general though, I would encourage you to think of the line traveling through the guides in 3-dimensional terms, not just 2-dimensional terms. What I mean by this, is that I have seen people build rods with unnecessarily large (tall) second/third guides, with perfectly straight line profiles viewed from the side, that hold line far away from the blank when loaded. In many cases, once you get past the first guide, you can go straight to runner guides for the rest of the rod. As Bill mentioned above, load your rod and adjust the spacing and rotation in an attempt to get the line touching the bottom center of the ring in the straightest 3-dimensional line path you can. Then take it out and do some test casting.

If you indeed are after large predator fish and will be using a levelwind reel, make sure that the angle of your firstguide will allow you to properly rewind on more line than will ever be removed by the largest fish. Line stacking to one side of a reel's spool can be a huge problem on certain types of heavy duty spiral applications (like trolling rods). On really heavy rods where large-diameter spool conventional reels are used without levelwinds, you may want to have your guides twist to the left instead of the right to encouirage stacking to the left of the spool; in this way it is easier to use your left thumb more to push the line to the right of the reel than to pull line to the left side of the reel.

There are lots of considerations like these that may or may not apply to your particular build, but you just don't give enough info to really nail down the salient points.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster