I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CTS Blanks?
Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2013 11:49PM

I'd like to hear from anyone familiar with CTS blanks, especially in lengths and powers suitable for freshwater spinning and casting rods. They have a lot of colors to choose from but how do they compare weight, strength and sensitivity wise?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CTS Blanks?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 25, 2013 09:29AM

They're very nice blanks. About as good as anything around. Nicely finished as well.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2013 10:10AM

I'm only familiar with their fly rod blanks, but they are second to none!! I haven't weighed mine, but when using the same guide train, handle configuration, and reel seat hardware, that I put on virtually all of my rods - the balance point is further back towards the butt - indicating a lighter tip than other rods built on other blanks. Exceptional finish - the best I've seen to date. This is very apparent when I show a rod built on a CTS to a prospective customer and they spend more time glossing over the blank than they do the grip or thread art!

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 25, 2013 10:46AM

Hi,

I build on the ES, and @#$%& series for my salt water customers. The people appreciate the light weight of the blanks, the sensitivity and ability to take in big fish.

The CTS company will build blanks to your design. I have taken advantage of this opportunity and am very please with the results as well as my customers.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 25, 2013 11:27AM

I've built a few, I believe EB 843-3 blank. 7 ft., 3 piece, for people I go the Alaska with, with the light X Fast tip they work on anything from the 12+ inch trout to all the salmon except maybe the big Chinooks. Lure size is the biggest restriction for fishing pike, etc. They are one of the blanks that you don't have to wrap the ferrules if you choose not to.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 25, 2013 02:45PM

This past March I built myself a 11' , 3-6 oz. Vaportrail. Its a one peice blank for throwing big baits, which it does very well.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 25, 2013 06:33PM

Mike,
What you really want to be concerned about is the "swing weight" of a rod - or "weight-in-the-hand".

I am more familiar with CTS fly rod blanks - since that is my area of expertise - The swing weight (weight in the hand) of a 9'0" Affinity-X #10 is lower than a Sage 9'0" Xi3 #8.

The absolute weight of the "X" is heavier than the Sage Xi3 - but does not feel that way.

Also - there is the factor of durability of the ferrule system. The CTS blanks do not require that a builder wrap their ferrules. Not so with other manufacturers.
One of my customers is so secure in that fact that he just ordered a 5pc, 12', Vapor Trail spinning blank.
Regards,
Herb Ladenheim
Distrib. CTS Fly Rod Blanks.
Sponsor - Rodbuilder.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2013 06:34PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: August 25, 2013 06:36PM

Hi Mike,

Where are you going to get the blanks from? Can you buy them in Canada or the US?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 25, 2013 06:48PM

[hnlcustomflyrods.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster