I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sensitivity microwave vs kr?
Posted by: Jerry Rigsbee (---.colocrossing.com)
Date: August 15, 2013 12:15PM

Not talking about casting distance but is there any reason why the microwave would result in a more sensitive rod than if I used the kr concept or vice versa? Anyone have any actual on the water experience between them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sensitivity microwave vs kr?
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2013 12:39PM

Having never handled a rod with either concept, I would think one could be build just as sensitive as the other.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2013 01:35PM

No

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 15, 2013 01:51PM

Assuming all else is equal, whichever one allows you to build the lightest rod, particularly in the top half of the rod, should be the most sensitive. Do keep in mind that minute differences in weight will only result in minute differences in sensitivity. You may be at a point that would be difficult to notice by hand.

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.65.---)
Date: August 15, 2013 04:39PM

I think the butt guides will be a wash so if you can get the weights of the transition and running guides for each and weigh them you should be able to quickly tell which will result in less weight. The MW will only have one transition guide and the KR maybe a couple. I just can't see much difference. I think the MW rod might possibly balance a little bit further back towards the reel.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 15, 2013 06:07PM

My very limited work would suggest you should spend your efforts on grips. Guides seem to me to have more of an effect on casting, rod speed/crispness, and fish fighting ability. A heavy guide train can make a rod seem slower. Inadequate amounts/quality make the drag seem not as smooth on fast/hard running fish. Casting is a little harder to notice. I botched my first attempt at a simple spiral bad enough to know you make a good casting rod and reel a total dog if you try hard enough.

It could be all the rough work and damage to hands/nerves......but recently I have started to feel like my hands are not as sensitive as other parts.....for example, a longer butt grip with the end of the rod touching my ribs had me feeling things my hands weren't.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Don Ahart (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2013 10:41PM

I have both setups, no difference at all that I can tell in sensitivity. They fish the same.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 18, 2013 05:20PM

You can't push a rope, and you can't feel a thing happening on the far side of slack in a fish line. It's a physical fact, and no amount of money , blanks, guides, or line can change it. If you wish to test your set-up for what the ad-men call "sensitivity" you need to do it with a tight line.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster