I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

first guide size
Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2013 05:50PM

Making a 10" 5 wt rod. But it will be a spinner. The guy in Pa uses it for steelhead pretty soon. They use 6 lb test. So can I use a 25 for the first guide and graduate down. Single foot probably alconite. My thought that a 30 would be too big.

Thanks,Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: first guide size
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2013 06:34PM

Bill that should be fine. If he is using braid you could go with a 20 or maybe a 16. Why not use the microwave? they would work well too look at the M frame guides for the height

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2013 06:35PM by john timberlake.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.208.---)
Date: August 13, 2013 06:46PM

Check out the Fuji fast reduction system with the tall guides and you can save a lot of weight along the blank, and first guide would be no bigger than a 20. Only disadvantage I see is if he wants to carry it in a tube, he'll need a pretty good sized tube to fit the tall first guide. Click on Anglers Resource - Fuji on the left.

Actually any system designed for braid or 6 pound mono should be able to use a 20 with no problems.

Another lightweight option is Microwave by Amtak.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2013 06:55PM

25 might be overkill with something as supple as 6lb line. If you do use a 20, select a high frame model.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.unas.al.charter.com)
Date: August 13, 2013 10:49PM

Bill -

Loved the wood grips article. Thanks for doing it.

I have built several of these type rods for fly or weightless platic worm fishing under bubbles and floats (although mine have been mostly 9 footers). In my experience, you will be super happy with a size 20 K-style high frame guide as your first guide.

One other thought - braid is typically easier to mend and manage for this type of fishing than mono (which can sink and has a larger diameter for test and therefore more drag). Mono also tends to coil and have exaggerated memory in cold water. Hard to beat a 15 or 20 pound fused superline (which wont absorb water and freeze and get wiry like regular braid) connected to a fluoro leader fir steelhead pink worm fishing under a float in my experience. Again, a size 20 is plenty for this.

Good luck - hope this helps.

Bill

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: August 14, 2013 04:19AM

I am now building an 8'6" travel spinning rod on a 5 wt. fly blank. The first guide will actually be a PacBay Minima high frame #20. Recently I also built a 7'6" UL spin rod and successfully used a #16 high-frame guide as the first one. In both cases I used Fuji-style fast reduction, but for the longer rod I will be using a train of slightly higher-frame guides (not the L-type guides lying flat on the blank) to prevent line from sticking to the tip.

Also I think a #20 high-frame guide will be better than #16 with mono, while the latter will handle braid with ease, though perhaps choking mono a wee bit.
#20 it should be :-)

Cheers,
Michal

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2013 07:57AM

I have built bass rods for use with 8lb floro and used a fuji 16H with no issues, however that is with a 2000 series reel. I would personally base my decision on a 20 or 16 depending on the spool diameter of the reel.

Date: August 14, 2013 08:05AM

Thanks everyone for your input. The rod will have a Pitt. Steeler theme so will probably go woth 20 high frame alconite and scale down

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.208.---)
Date: August 14, 2013 08:40AM

Michael Roz: Just a reminder (that I forgot last travel rod build), you'll need a large diameter rod tube when you build with high frame guides. Here's where a folding guide would be nice.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: August 14, 2013 12:18PM

currently, am building something similar, using a 9ft 3wt 4pcs MHX fly blank as a travel spinning rod. i will be using a size 2000/2500 shimano reel with 6 or 8lb braid, and have used a size 16 Fuji YSG as the butt guide on the last few rods (6', 6'6 , 7') without much issue.

For mono, probably a 20 is best suited as mono seems to be 'springier' and would probably need a slightly larger butt guide to tame it.. braid, on the other hand, is more limp and thinner for the same line poundage and could do with a smaller sized butt guide.

reason i picked up rod building in the first place was that i always hated the guide sizes used by commercial manufacturers.. they tend to be oversized in my opinion.

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Date: August 14, 2013 12:40PM

As for rod tube. I went to carpet store and got the cardboard tube the is inside the roll. Nice give away and the guy was a fly fisherman. 3 1/2" inside diameter. Should be ok.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: August 14, 2013 03:39PM

Rodtubewise: sewage pipes come in various sizes ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster