I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7.6 SW pluging rod for stripers what blank to use?
Posted by: Ely Hamaty (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 12, 2013 06:45PM

Pluging for stripers from a boat I need all distance that I can get. We cast into the shore and boulders, and I am looking for a good blank to build for my use. I have built 7' using a variety of blanks, and guide placement by X27 and try before you wrap.
Any good suggest\ions will be greatly appreciated..
Many thanks.
Ely Hamaty

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7.6 SW pluging rod for stripers what blank to use?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 12, 2013 08:03PM

Best to provide some more info. Most striper pluggers are casting from the surf and looking for longer rods. Need to know what you intend to cast, what # test you intend to fish, and what size fish you are after.

The big three on my list, in no particular order, would be st. croix, lamiglas, and baston/rainshadow. And if distance matters why not go longer?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2013 09:17PM

Ely, If you can find one, a GMU764 is what I used to wrap for the same situation. I use to get em' from Cabela's for $39 ea. Listed as Musky blanks and only had two sizes,(7.0 & 7.5). The butt section was reinforced with a cross wrap of graphite webbing 18". I built a few for guys pluggin for Stripers wearever they would see the guls working over the bait that were being chased by the Stripers & Blues. The GMU764 now listed is a dark green color. The ones I got were clear graphite. Not the same blanks.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 12, 2013 11:22PM

I think the Lamiglas GLB901MT would have been one of my picks, but now it's only available as an 8 ft. blank the GLB961MT. You may be able to cut the butt down to get the length you want, many Lamiglas blanks are that way and it doesn't necessarily void the warranty.

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 13, 2013 06:18AM

Seeker hercules inshore lite 8' ...sweet blank

Posted by: Timothy O'Neill (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2013 11:47AM

Have you thought of using a Batson SW967? It is 8 feet, but could be trimmed from the butt to 7'6". It casts well but takes a beating too. I'm guessing that you are casting 1-4 danny, bottle, pencil, pikie type plugs, probably 2-3 ounces?

Tim

Posted by: Ron Jennings (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 13, 2013 09:06PM

Timothy O'Neill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you thought of using a Batson SW967? It is 8
> feet, but could be trimmed from the butt to 7'6".
> It casts well but takes a beating too. I'm
> guessing that you are casting 1-4 danny, bottle,
> pencil, pikie type plugs, probably 2-3 ounces?
>
>
> Tim

If this is the case I would agree!A fantastic very versatile blank

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster