I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glue for holding reel seats and grips
Posted by: Larry Adams (---.proxylisty.com)
Date: August 08, 2013 06:26PM

What is the consensus on the best glue to use for bonding reel seats and grips? I suppose an epoxy but is the liquid types better than the thicker pastes like RodBond and Probond? I would think the liquid types are better for getting a grip to slide down the rod. Maybe you guys use different types for different applications?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glue for holding reel seats and grips
Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: August 08, 2013 07:00PM

Larry I use either ProBond or RodBond for both .I don't have any problems sliding the grips I just make sure that the blank is covered with the glue & I also coat the inside of the grip before sliding it down & once I start the slide I don't stop until i reach my mark on the blank

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 08, 2013 07:18PM

Probond for me all the way!

Posted by: Ron Weber (12.70.3.---)
Date: August 08, 2013 07:24PM

Nothing but ProBond for me also

Ron Weber

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.cisco.com)
Date: August 08, 2013 08:00PM

I prefer Pro-Bond. Will use Rod Bond if I run short of Pro-Bond. Pro-bond mixed easier than Rod-Bond and may be slightly less viscous, so it acts as a better lube.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 08, 2013 08:08PM

I have not tried probond. I now use rod bond. At one point I used a liquid, mostly west systems. I think the gel does as well for grips and reel seats yets causes less mess and loss of product. Now I can glue something up, clean the excess as neeeded, and walk away. With the liquid I had to keep checking/wiping for several hours.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 08, 2013 08:35PM

Rod Bond

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Jennings (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 08, 2013 08:56PM

Rod bond Fan here also

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2013 09:53PM

I still use Flex Coat rod building glue for most of my work. I ream the grips to a close tolerance with Batson reamers, paint the blank with the FC epoxy using a small brush and slide the grip and later the foregrip in place. I use the FC glue also for the reel seat. Sometimes on a large rod such as a surf or offshore rod I will use the gel type of glue for gluing the seat. For the grips on large rods I still use the FC glue. I have never had a grip come loose in 34 years of rod building.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2013 11:07PM

For many years, I have been useing Pro-Pox.

This is a great 2-part industrial liquid epoxy with a 30 minute cure time. It comes in 1 lb tubs and is rather inexpensive. It works wonderfully well and with the 30 minute cure time gives me a nice strong ten minutes before it has begun to thicken at all. This gives me plenty of time to do a full butt grip, reel seat and fore grip with individual cork rings or completed grips in a single glue mix.

I personally would never use a paste type epoxy for this type work. No need, and I think a lot of downside.

As you know, there are not a lot of glue manufacturers on the market. Rather there are a few very large glue makers that sell bulk product to re sellers who then repackage the product into smaller containers and put their own name on it.
So, use the epoxy that works for you. One that is convenient for you to obtain, and one that is sold at a price that you can afford to pay.

Be safe

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: August 09, 2013 07:07AM

Pro Bond for areas that have gaps or if I need to encapsulate reel seat arbors. For tight fit where there isnt going to be a tremendous amount of torque on that part, 2 part Flex coat 5 minute liquid epoxy.

Buzz

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: August 09, 2013 07:08AM

Just curious Roger. What do you see as a downside to using a gel type such as rod bond?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 09, 2013 07:57AM

I've used an Australian two part liquid epoxy called Araldite super strength for over 35 years and haven't had anything ever come close to being loose. I find it flows better into small areas which might answer Russell's comment and works well with eva grips if you coat the blank and the inside of the grip. I've seen that cause a problem on plenty of factory rods where they only coat one surface and when putting the grip on it pushes most of the epoxy down the blank. Also seen a few so called "custom" rods have the reel seats come loose because they try to save a dollar by using the least possible amount which doesn't always work. Recently I made some floor tile cork grips and used a foaming urethane glue and it worked extremely well. I tried to break some grips by twisting them and they had cast acrylic plastic pieces in several spots and they didn't look like breaking and they weren't attached to a blank. Find something that works for you and does what you want. The liquid stuff always needs to be monitored for leakage for a few hours but if that causes a problem then use the paste. You still need to monitor eva grips just in case they shrink and leave gaps. I've never found the clean up to be a major issue, just something you have to watch out for. Surface prep is often the biggest issue so make sure you have a water break free surface on both sides of everything you glue up.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2013 07:59AM

I prefer Rod Bond since it's less runny than Pro Bond, which makes it a little less messy for me to clean up. As far as sliding grips.....teh epoxy/glue you use does not matter if you chamfer the inside edge of the grip they all work just as well. If you don't do this, at some point you will run into a grip that gets stuck on the way down regardless of the product you use. Both products have a lot of working time (depending on the temps), usually an hour isn't a problem.

A note on the 10 & 15 minute products - this is highly dependant on the temps. In the winter ALL of these products can be worked with for 20-30 minutes, in the summer they have a working time as advertised.

The liquids are fine too, I suggest trying them all and seeing which one works best for you.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: August 09, 2013 08:12AM

I found Quick Bond, which is the quicker setting version of Rod Bond to be the best of all worlds. It lubes parts as you slide them in place and sets in about 15 minutes and cures enough to be handled and worked in about an hour. So if you don't see any leaks or gaps in 15 minutes, you're good. It's a gel just like its big brother Rod Bond but sets WAY quicker. But still not so quick like the 5 minutes types.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2013 09:53PM

I've been using Kardol for years

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: August 11, 2013 12:14AM

Another thought provoking subject ...

I tend to use whatever I have on hand at the time and for the most part its what I find at my local stores.

For quite awhile now I've been using low expanding PU (Sicky Ass Glue) for my handles.

Pro-Pox sounds interesting and will look for some info on that product.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster