I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metal parts?
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: August 07, 2013 01:44PM

Have any of the builders here experimented with making metal parts out of aluminum or brass? Stuff like custom winding checks?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metal parts?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2013 02:49PM

If you have a metal working lathe, it is a simple thing to do.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.cisco.com)
Date: August 07, 2013 03:01PM

Yes. Both aluinum and brass are easy to work on a metal lathe.

To match factory winding checks, you need to be able to anodize aluminum ones - not hard, but does take a special setup

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.65.---)
Date: August 07, 2013 03:16PM

If you want a little more flexibility in what you can make out of metal, there was a complete article in past issue of Rodmaker that detailed Metal Spinning. This allows you to form most metals over a core to get shapes you couldn't do on a regular metal lathe by cutting. I don't have that issue in front of me but I think it was one of the issues published in the last couple of years. Pretty neat stuff.

Oh yeah, you don't have to have a metal or machine lathe to do this. It can be done on a wood lathe, even a small mini type wood lathe.

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2013 02:16AM

I actually spun metal for many yrs 15+. While at work I would make tools for rod building like a guide holder for grinding. The place I worked was in Germantown WI. They shut down that plant but still have the main one in Angola IN.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2013 09:26AM

Volume 12 #5 has the article on Metal Spinning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster