I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SU1087F-2-MHX Castaway MicroWave Setup?
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 02:30PM

Hello All.

I just got a pair of SU1087F-2-MHX's and am looking for any help or suggestions on guide setup using the Castaway MicroWave Guide System.
Having never used these guides I have a need for more information on them in connection with SU1087F-2-MHX'S.

Any and all help and or information will be appreciated.

Thanks To All.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SU1087F-2-MHX Castaway MicroWave Setup?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 04:27PM

Try here
You got the guide not The Set
This should give you an idea of what to get in guides and where to ( START ) placing them
[www.americantackle.us]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: August 06, 2013 04:38PM

I believe the set includes instructions on the company's recommended set up. It might also be found on the American Tackle website.

Date: August 06, 2013 08:14PM

Hello Bill & Ken.

Thanks Guy's but it is the Castaway MicroWave not the American Tackle Microwave, and Bill the rods are 9'.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2013 09:49PM

I would look at the amtak set up as a reference and get to your choke point in a few guides then out to the tip with same size guide just like NGC. you will want tall frame guides for your transition guides and can probably use M frame or maybe Y

Date: August 06, 2013 10:18PM

Hello John.

Thanks but the Amtac set up is for rods no longer than 7'6', mine are 9'.
If (if) I recall right from reading old threads the Castaway Microwave Guide goes around 20" from the real face but I am not sure of that nor where the second guide goes the rest I think can be found with static test (I think).

All I really have is a bunch of conjecture.

Thanks Again.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: James Rice (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 10:48PM

I Just finished wrapping a 6.6' MHX blank with Amtek Microwaves

Tip of spool to furthest point on MW guide 20 1/2"
Trans guide 30 1/2"
running guide 39 7/8"

Running guides the rest of the way are not so critical. Just these first 3

Tight Lines

Date: August 07, 2013 12:40AM

Thanks James.

But as I have said before I DONT have AMTEK MicroWave guides, I Have CASTAWAY (30-8) MicroWave Guides, and the blanks are 9 feet long not 6.5.

Thanks anyway tight wraps.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 07, 2013 06:58AM

Robert the length of the rod should have no significance on the guide set up except adding more guides. Place the butt guide and choke it down using 2-3 transition guides and then run the same sized guides to the tip.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 07, 2013 07:41AM

With the reel on Take the spool off and with a straight edge like a table top where the line hits the blank is the chock guide position
Butt guide usually about 18 -23" from reel face 9' rod usually ( Start ) at 9 guides total and top
Static test adjust for best casting performance

Those charts you can just add more running guides

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: August 07, 2013 10:35AM

Robert, email me and i will help.
I think i did the first one on that blank when it was still a prototype.
I have had them in the field a while( 18 months) with bull reds over 40H's on them and many jacks sharks etc caught..
It works well just looks odd. I also mix in some non amtak guides to overcome the weight issues and the system working in reverse under pressure of a 30# jack..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2013 10:55AM by Lou Auret.

Date: August 07, 2013 11:26AM

Thanks John, Bill and Lou.

I've been overthinking this thing, John you are right the blank does not know one set-up from another, and Bill your tabletop and the 27X should work fine MicroWave guide or not, and Lou Thanks for the Reach-out.

I just need to set this up like any other build I've ever done, THANKS again guy's, and Thanks to any and all who lend a hand or reach-out to others both on and off this site.

Tight Wraps & Tight Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 07, 2013 03:19PM

Bob,

The height to the center of the ring is the same, or at the least very close in both the Castaway and AmTak version of the MW. At the last ORBS gathering, we had a rod built with the Castaway MW guide and some sample sets from AmTak, and I compared the heights and they were very close. Only the ring sizes are different. Check with Lance or Bill at Swampland, and they will give you the measurements you need, but they should be very similar to the AmTak measurements.

The system doesn't care how long the rod is (just as the NGC doesn't care either), nor the size of the reel to an extent. What size reel are you using?

I believe a while back Ken Preston, if I recall correctly, posted on a rod where he was using the MW on a surf type rod, and needed to use a larger butt guide and used the MW as the next reduction guide. A little searching with his name and MW should turn something up.

Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster