I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Guide spacing calc
Posted by: jonathan r ghazal (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 12:02PM

I have a Batson IST1264f a customer wants me to build on for him. It is a 12" 6' rod that the customer cut down to 10" 6'. The split handle was built to his specifications and is 26" from the butt to the top of the foregrip. I need to find a guide spacing calculator that can help me to correctly place the guides for this rod. Any help would be appreciated. All the calcs that I have found do not take into account the length of the split grip, and have the bottom guide in the middle of the split handle. The guides he provided also seem like a bad fit. He only has nine and they are size: 50,40,35,25,20,15,13,10,10. What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide spacing calc
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 06, 2013 01:23PM

Static testing is the best way to go, every blank will act different and the calculator and spacing charts cannot take that into effect.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 01:27PM

It'll work. He may have a reason why he provided you with those guides. Nine guides will be fine on that rod. Don't use a chart, set it up the best way you know how. Static load is a sure way to know what the rod needs. Wrap it and give it to him. He'll love it.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.static.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: August 06, 2013 01:44PM

Jonathan,
If you give me the distance from the reel seat to rod tip I can provide a layout with 9 guides even with your fore grip length.

Gene

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 01:50PM

If you are going to cut down to 10'6" you will be cutting through the foregrip, and the remaining portion of the foregrip will have to be removed, then start from scratch.

Date: August 06, 2013 02:06PM

According to the Batson web site the IST1264F is already 10'6" ????

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 02:55PM

Hello Jonathan.

Randolph is right the IST1264F is a Mat Gray 10' 6" 2 pc. 10-17#, 3/8 - 1 1/4oz, with .595 Butt, 5.0 Tip, Mod-Fast Action, MH Power that weighs 4.23oz.

So what gives?
Sorry about that, and it's Rum.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 08:20PM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 04:21PM

No more beer for you

Ya It is a 1264 not a 1064 ????

have another beer
They are getting me confused LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 04:56PM by bill boettcher.

Date: August 06, 2013 04:48PM

Robert, that Is IST1264F. Are we having fun with this post or what? ;>)

Date: August 06, 2013 05:01PM

IST1264F 10 Foot 6 "

Ge I will have another LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 06, 2013 05:27PM

Being serious for just a minute, what is the blank designed for. I think you are talking about a Surf rod blank, is that correct?

Date: August 06, 2013 05:36PM

Salmon steelhead RX 7 Got to have some power

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 05:37PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2013 05:57PM

jonathan r ghazal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a Batson IST1264f a customer wants me to
> build on for him. It is a 12" 6' rod that the
> customer cut down to 10" 6'. The split handle was
> built to his specifications and is 26" from the
> butt to the top of the foregrip. I need to find a
> guide spacing calculator that can help me to
> correctly place the guides for this rod. Any help
> would be appreciated. All the calcs that I have
> found do not take into account the length of the
> split grip, and have the bottom guide in the
> middle of the split handle. The guides he
> provided also seem like a bad fit. He only has
> nine and they are size:
> 50,40,35,25,20,15,13,10,10. What do you think?

The IST1264f is 126" long, so 10'6", as noted above. The grip length seems within reason.

As far as the spacing, if you could provide the distance to the center of the reel seat, or to the front of the reel, that would help. Let's suppose your rear grip is 14" from the butt of the rod to the reel seat, and you have a 5" long spinning reel seat. That is 16.5" to the center of the reel seat, and the face of the reel should be about 2" further up the rod, give or take a bit. That puts the top of the spool about 18.5" from the butt. That leaves 126-18.5=107.5" from the reel face to the top of the rod. If you put the 50mm guide 23" further up the rod, that leaves 84.5" for the rest of the guides.

For a calculator, say you put the first 10mm guide 5" from the tip and multiply the space between each pair of guides by 1.15, you'll end up with your guides at 5.00", 10.75", 17.36", 24.97", 33.71", 43.77", 55.33", 68.63", 83.93" from the tip. This should put you in the ball park. From there you can use a static test and tweak it a bit. Once you have an idea on the location of the first guide from the tip and the butt guide, you can adjust the multiplier and come up with something within reason.

Frankly, I would ask specifically about the guide sizing. Using those guides, particularly in conjunction with a split grip is going to result in a horribly tip heavy rod. If you built it with your choice of current guide train design, NGC, KR, or MW, the entire guide train will likely cone in lighter than the butt guide or fairly close. What size reel is he using? I would invite the customer over for a testing session after the handle is constructed. Tape on his guides, and the tape up a 27x, KR or MW setup using 6mm or 8mm PacBay minimas for running guides, depending on how cold of air temps he regularly fishes (assuming its a winter steelhead rod). Have him handle and cast the rod both ways and see which direction he wants to go with for the guide train. If after this session he still wants his set of guides wrap it up for him.

Joe

Date: August 06, 2013 06:14PM

Hay Joe
Good info - BUT

That rod if the numbers are correct OR if the builder was told Correctly Did not have to be cut
Numbers wrong ??? Like posted Some one playing with some one else
It should have been checked out Simple Go to there site and check !! ??

Simple

put a handle and seat on find a good chart and size the guides Tape them on Static Test it and adjust

All this for what ???? Some thing smells in Denmark

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 06, 2013 06:48PM

Why use a size 50 guide on a 10''6" rod, a high frame 25 or 30 would be much better and lighter.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 08:20PM

The Batson IST1264 has always been 10 ft. 6 in. long, 126 inches.

Date: August 06, 2013 08:32PM

Spencer, we already covered that!!

Date: August 07, 2013 07:53AM

Put the rel on Butt guide ( start ) ring 1/2 size of the spool face plate About 18 - 23" from spool
Take the spool off and with a straight edge alien the spindle up and where it hits the blank is the choke guide position ( start ) from chock every 5" place a guide to tip
From butt guide to chock one - two more guides ??? Adjust
Static test adjust Test cast adjust for good casting performance

check library page for article

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2013 07:55AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: jonathan r ghazal (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2013 03:19AM

Thanks for all the info. According to Batson, this is a 10' 6" rod. The customer told me that he cut one foot off of each piece. I did static test it and it turned out really well. This forum has been a great help. I will let you guys know if I have any more questions.

Jonathan
Fly In The Soup Customs

P.S. I'll take a Diet Pepsi!

Date: August 11, 2013 04:40PM

Did you measure the blank ? Does the blank have specs. written on it? If he cut a foot off each end then the blank would only be 8'6" long. How long is it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2013 04:42PM by Randolph Ruwe.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster