I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting down a switch rod blank?
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: August 05, 2013 08:17PM

Hello all,

I have a 11 foot, fast action 7 weight switch rod blank which I would like to experiment with. The handle didn't turn out as planned so am thinking about cutting 12" off the butt section and adding a single hand grip.

Does anyone have an idea of what this would do to the rod action. I'm guessing it would make it a lighter power.

Any input is welcome.

thanks,
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting down a switch rod blank?
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 08:55PM

A few questions, did you already put on the reel seat and foregrrip.? If you cut off 12" that will probably make this into a 5-6-7 wt. rod. Why not just redo to butt grip the way you want?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2013 09:04PM

Don't confuse action and power. Action is where the rod initially flexes, power is well, stiffness. Two entirely different things.

Taking 12 inches off the butt will greatly slow the action and reduce the power.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 09:18PM

I'm with R. Ruwe,
Just grind off the grip and start over. This is not that unusual.
Herb

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: August 05, 2013 09:19PM

Thanks for the input.

Randolph, I already put on the reel seat and fore grip. I started the build when I thought I would like two handed fly casting but since have discovered a prefer single handed casting. That's the main reason why I was thinking of cutting the rod down and finishing it as a single hand rod.

Tom, thanks for the clarification in the terminology. I don't mind a slower action and reduction in power. I have recently started using a moderate action fly rod and prefer it to my fast action rods.

best,
Tom.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 10:17PM

Tom Lusis, that is why it is called a Switch Rod. It can be used either one or two handed. It can be used for overhead casts or a typical Spey type cast. It is one of the most versatile of all fly rods. I: wouldn't cut it down. Learn to use it and have fun. I am taking my 11' Switch rod to the shore of Puget Sound tomorrow morning in pursuit Pink Salmon. Fun.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster