I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

static guide placement for baitcaster
Posted by: Arthur Long (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 02:52PM

Hi fellow rodbuilders, I'm about to ask a question that I know has absolutely been beaten to death yet, I still am in a fog about the solution. I understand that the objective is to keep the line following the curve of the blank under load and to keep as best as possible the line off the blank. My question is this, no matter how I manipulate my guides along the blank at some point they come close or do make contact with the blank, depending on load. How do I attain both? It's very possible I could be overthinking this situation. It's really getting me frustrated. :-/. So, I need input from those really knowledgeable in this area.
Thanks in advance
Arthur

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: static guide placement for baitcaster
Posted by: Andres Perez (---.coastalsystemsint.com)
Date: August 05, 2013 03:14PM

Add more guides.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 03:51PM

Try a spiral wrap, no extra guides needed and makes the rod more stable under load.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2013 04:14PM

Everything ends up being a bit of a compromise. To completely keep the line off the rod blank under any and all load will require a large number of guides that may then cause you to lose other important aspects of rod performance due to the increased weight they'll add. Fortunately, guides are becoming lighter and lighter all the time so the weight penalty isn't nearly as much as it once was.

Also keep in mind that it's not absolutely necessary to keep the line off the blank under the heaviest loads. Generally, reels aren't used as winches. You're not retrieving line when the rod is under a heavy load - you gain line by pulling with the rod and retrieving the recovered line as you lower the rod back down.

I would say that as long as the line doesn't pass under the rod, creating a sort of "bowstring" effect between any pair of guides, you've got enough guides.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 04:19PM

Good explanation Tom.

Posted by: Arthur Long (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 09:10PM

Thanks Chad but, I already have done a couple of rods in the spiral.
To Tom, thanks for chining in on this one because I noticed on some of my store bought rods that through various loads they get close or make slight contact. Wheeew!!! I feel a lot better now.
Thanks again to all who commented, offered suggestions and gave direction. This is what makes this board great. :-)

Posted by: Andres Perez (---.coastalsystemsint.com)
Date: August 06, 2013 10:36AM

Arthur Long Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Chad but, I already have done a couple of
> rods in the spiral.
> To Tom, thanks for chining in on this one because
> I noticed on some of my store bought rods that
> through various loads they get close or make
> slight contact. Wheeew!!! I feel a lot better
> now.
> Thanks again to all who commented, offered
> suggestions and gave direction. This is what makes
> this board great. :-)

Arthur,
You hit the nail right on its head. This forum is full of info and people willing to help.
Thanks and good luck,
Andres Perez
Miami, Fl

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster