I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mixing guide coating by weight rather than volume
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 10:47AM

With the recent questions about mixing rod coating finish by weight, rather than volume - I sent an e-mail request to Flex Coat to request the correct mass weight ratio of mixing part A to part B by weight.

This was Craig's (from Flex coat) reply.

------------------------------------
The ratio is 1 part of Part A to .838 part of Part B. ie 10 grams of Part A to 8.38 grams of Part B. Hope this makes sense and helps you out.

Craig

----------------------------------------------------------------
So, you need to multiply your part B weights by .838 to mix the correct quantity of A and B of the flex coat finishing epoxy when using a scale to measure the quantities of mix.

-------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to measure other manufacturers epoxy finish by weight than volume; contact them for the correct mass weight ratio.

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mixing guide coating by weight rather than volume
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 11:10AM

Why bother
using the syringes is sooo much easier
IMHO there will be posts here of builders having undried finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 11:31AM

Bill,
Agree 100%, but a builder wanted to mix by mass weight, so these are the correct instructions.

Date: August 05, 2013 02:14PM

I am just thinking if many try it there will be a LOT of posts ??? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 05:26PM

I am not well enough versed in math to do it by weight and mass. I first started using syringes 40 years ago and have never had a problem. How much time a person wants to spend calculating and weighing is up to them. I have better things to do. Now I have to go out and take the garbage to the curb for pick-up. ;>)

Date: August 05, 2013 06:52PM

Same here
All that does is make mixing more Complicating
I like the KISS method

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 05, 2013 07:01PM

I would like to say thank you to Roger for going to the trouble of finding out the truth of weighing epoxy. Good information in case I every need it.

Date: August 05, 2013 07:05PM

If you mix by weight
I hope it all goes well ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 08:17PM

This information would be more valuable for measuring a paste epoxy. Thankfully, the mix can be off a bit and it will still work fine.

Date: August 05, 2013 08:26PM

I agree with Mel. I am not a fan of paste epoxy. It doesn't flow for one thing, and I like epoxy to flow when I am sliding a reel seat across the bushing, and to flow into the gaps between the bushings, so that I can fill that gap and make sure the bottom of the bushing is covered in epoxy. I hate quick cure epoxies because you don't have enough time to do this slowly, and complete and accurate like it should be done. Using an epoxy glue that flows, in all the 43 years I have been making rods, I have never had one returned due to a reel seat the came loose. Or for any other problem related to the way I built the rod.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 06, 2013 08:51AM

Most of the paste epoxies have a much greater margin for error than the liquid types we use on our wrapping threads. For instance, Rod Bond can be mixed in a ratio of 60/40 and still set and cure perfectly with no loss of strength or durability.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.208.---)
Date: August 15, 2013 08:49PM

I've just been working on my first carbon fiber skinned grip with Riley Rods epoxy which has a 2:1 ratio by weight (and volume, interestingly) and using the scale from them as well. I have to admit it is pretty easy and foolproof. Easier than syringes due to the lower viscosity of the epoxy which essentially measures having to wait for bubbles to clear. With 2:1 it's easy to do the calculations in the head and handling just one item instead of two for each component is simpler than syringes. Wouldn't be that clean with 1:.838. I'm sure I'd screw that up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster