I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wraps on upper blank for action?
Posted by: Tony Fredericksen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 27, 2003 11:58PM

I recently read an article featuring a custom rod , built by John Nutter.
John wrapped and finished lead tape between the last guide and tip,
.to slow the action.Has anyone used a special wrap to speed the action of a finished rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wraps on upper blank for action?
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 28, 2003 01:23AM

Tony,

Adding weight doesn't 'change the action' of the rod. It just changes how quickly it 'loads' and 'unloads'.

You can't make a rod 'faster' by doing anything with thread.

The action of a rod blank is determined by the material used (stiffness to weight ratios) and the 'taper' of the mandrel.

There are folks here with a better scientific understanding of all this, but from what I've been able to figure out, all that this extra weight does is make the rod heavier, and that's a bad thing most times. I can't think of any good this would do. Guy should have bought a rod that fits what he wants to throw in the first place.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.56.160.206.Dial1.Raleigh1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2003 08:25AM

The extra weight makes the rod respond less quickly to imparted energy. It also increases the amount of time that it takes the rod to return to straight (damp). It does not and will not change the action in any way. It does make the rod less efficient.

If that's what you're after, then go right ahead and emulate this technique. But if what you really want is a rod that reacts and responds more slowy, you might be better off just choosing a blank made from a lower modulus graphite fiber, or even fiberglass.

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.systems.cogeco.net)
Date: February 28, 2003 11:04AM

Just curious, wouldn't throwing a heavier line serve the same purpose as adding weight to the rod tip?

Regards,
Mark

Posted by: Tony Fredericksen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 28, 2003 12:27PM

This article was in the Feb.2003 In-fisherman mag .Give it a look and then maybe lend more comments to this issue.
my real goal is to stiffen a finished rod I wasn't sure if someone had any ideas on how best to do this.thanhs for the help.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.56.210.15.Dial1.Raleigh1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2003 01:20PM

That's going to be almost impossible to do. Anything you add to that rod, no matter how stiff the addition may be, will have the effect of softening the rod. Case in point would be adding a lot of very stiff, braced, double footed guides. While they might stiffen short sections between the feet, overall they'll have the effect of making the rod softer and less responsive.

About the only method I'm aware of that might do what you want, would be to blow some sort of foam up into the blank, but that opens up a new set of problems all its own.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: February 28, 2003 01:33PM

The advantage of graphite over other materials is it's high modulus of elasticity and it's light weight. We can over simplify just a little and call the modulus of elasticity stiffness. Now we can put stiffness over weight and call it efficiency. To me this is the whole point with graphite. The higher the modulus of elasticity the better, the higher the efficiency the better. And the closer you get to the tip of the rod the more important they become or the more the affect low modulus or low efficiency is felt, or the more detrimental weight becomes.

Maybe I do not understand but it seems to me that adding weight, particularly toward the tip of a rod, is trying to turn a silk purse into a sow's ear.

Date: February 28, 2003 01:41PM

I think you understand very well. At least it sounds to me like you do. I always try to opt for the blank that will do what I want, rather than having to modify it in some manner. I know that's not always possible, but we have such a huge selection of blanks and materials to choose from today that it's less necessary than in the past.

It's sort of like having a car that has a higher horsepower to weight ration than you'd like - it accelerates too fast, corners too well, stops too quickly. So you pack the trunk and back seats with sand bags. The car retains the same power as before, but now it's carrying more weight so it accelerates less quickly, corners less precisely and takes longer to stop once started. You bought too much to start with.

Date: February 28, 2003 01:43PM

By the way, John Nutter's a good guy and good rod builder. So let's all agree we're not attacking his methods or ideas. Just a difference of opinion on how we might choose to achieve the same thing.

I'm sure John has his reasons for doing it his way and hope the exposure in the magazine is good for everyone who build's custom rods.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: February 28, 2003 02:31PM

John,
We apologize for ganging up on you. Just tell us, under your breath, to kiss your butt wrap.

Posted by: David McDonough (12.110.113.---)
Date: February 28, 2003 04:40PM

Tony,

I'm not sure if your original question has been directly addressed.

If you want to speed the action of your blank you can extend it from the butt. I do this quite often. (This will make the blank feel a little stiffer while retaining the tip for casting the same weights.)

If to want to stiffen the rod you can also trim the blank from the tip. This however will make the action slower. Be careful how much you trim the tip, because just a little can can change the blank quite a lot.

By judicious trimming and extending you can change a blank significantly. For example if you had a "medium" or "medium/heavy" 6 ft blank and trimmed about 2 inches from the tip and extended the butt by 8 inches you would end up with 6 ft 6in "heavy" blank.

If you do this I suggest extending first and then trim just a little. If the blank is still not stiff enough trim some more from the tip.

(Remember blanks always feel a little softer after you add the weight of the guides.)

Hope this helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster