I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultralight spinning rod
Posted by: wayne blake (---.068.popsite.net)
Date: February 27, 2003 11:21PM

I'm thinking of assembling a new ultralight spinning rod. I have an ugly stick and a rod I assembled a few years back using a Shakespeare graphite blank. The ugly stick 5'6" is a good rod with the shakespeare blank I assembled a little better in that it is more sensitive and casts slightly farther. Both rods are pretty much limited to 1/16th ounce or greater lure weight. What I'd like to build is a rod with more sensitivty and the ability to cast a 1/32nd ounce lure. can anyone recommend a blank and/or manufacturer? How about the long crappie/noodle rods? Do they offer increased casting distance?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultralight spinning rod
Posted by: Tony Fredericksen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 28, 2003 12:13AM

Try using a weighted buttcap.I use Fuji's balance cap on all my m-ul rods.This extra weight seems to load the tip for more distance and control .As for blanks ,more length normaly means more distance,but you will sacrifice control.All-star 10x series,great looking , very light, and sensetive for the money.

Posted by: Fred Murphy (66.242.166.---)
Date: February 28, 2003 12:15AM

Don't know for sure about which brand blank is better, but I think you would get better results if you went to a 7" rod. That's what I use and have good luck with it.
Murf

Posted by: Jason Huckeba (---.cybertime.net)
Date: February 28, 2003 01:16AM

I do a lot of UL trout fishing, and one of the latest crazes here in Southern California is using fly blanks, and wrapping them as spinning rods.

What type of fishing are you going to be doing with the UL? Trout fishing? Also what lures are you tossing? If this is the case, you'll most likely want a rod between 6'6" and 8'6". I just got done wrapping a 8'6" fenwich HMX blank, and i'm in the process of wrapping two amtak 6'6" blanks for trout fishing.

I get great distance with my 6'6" rods that I use now.

Posted by: SVEN STAU (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 28, 2003 04:41AM

I built an ultralight rod back in 1995 using Loomis GL2 6' 1 piece UL blank moderate fast action with high frame sic match guides.

It's a beauty casts superbly, looks great and is my favorite UL rod, not too long, not too short.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (216.111.226.---)
Date: February 28, 2003 05:17AM

You did not say what type of fishing you intend for this rod. That has a great deal to do with it.

I have several UL's but my favorite is a 6' St Croix 1 piece that I use on the small rivers for trout. 1/32 to 1/8 oz lures and 2 or 4 lb test line. A long rod would cast better but I don't need it in the tighter confines of a meandering river.

One of the great things about building your own rods is that you can afford to build several for the price of a store bought and have a rod that really fits yours specific needs instead of a compromise.

Posted by: Dirk Heseman (207.152.105.---)
Date: February 28, 2003 08:25AM

I just built an Pacific Bay UL. Mudhole had the blanks on sale for half the price as one of the retail guys here in town. I haven't fished it yet, but just the feel of it when I pick it up gets me excited. The blanks are 6'6", perfect length for most UL lure fishing. Good Luck!

Re: Ultralight spinning rod/details
Posted by: wayne Blake (166.94.146.---)
Date: February 28, 2003 08:58AM

First, thanks for all the replies. I like to fish for panfish and small bass, normally using the new micro plugs, jigs, and small spinner baits. I was in Maine two years ago and hooked about a 31/2 pound small mouth on my ultalight ugly stick, using 4lb test spiderline. Although it eventually threw the hook while I was tightening the drag, it was much more enjoyable than on a heavier rod. How do you select a fly rod blank to use as a spinning rod? What type of action and or line weight should I be looking for.

Thnaks agian

Posted by: Richard's Rod & Reel (66.244.242.---)
Date: February 28, 2003 10:24AM

Wayne,
An ultralight blank in 5'6" from Rainshadow model IS660 might be one to consider. Also I'd recommend St. Croix 2S60ULF.
Either of these are withing your lure wt. paramaters.

We carry Rainshadow and St. Croix blanks as a stocking distributor. Let me know if I can help.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel
807-486-0514

Posted by: ken madland (---.socal.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2003 03:12PM

I built a 9' PacBay 1-4 lb. rod and I love it. I can cast a 1/32-1/64 jig with no problem.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: February 28, 2003 04:48PM

Ken
Which PacBay blank did you use?
Stan

Posted by: duane walters (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 28, 2003 10:43PM

I've built several ultra lite rods and really like the 7' (1 pc.) loomis gl3 ultra lite blank which will handle the 1/32 oz lures. I personally use a 7 1/2' to 8' 2 pc. fly rod rated for a 3-4 wt. line. I use the concept guides. With these rods i can cast 2# test line with micro and ice fishing jigs with ease for pan fish. hope this helps, duane

Posted by: ken madland (---.socal.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2003 11:56PM

Im not sure any more it has ben a couple of years. It was probaly a fly rod blank. (2-pc)Let me ask my friends the have them also. I'll get back to you.

Posted by: Ken Madland (---.socal.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2003 06:59PM

Sorry it took so long. The blank is a 108-2 salmon rod, Im not sure if they still make it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster