I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

27 times guide placement help
Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 03, 2013 05:05PM

I am building a 8.5 ft spinning rod with a stella 20k. Spool diameter of 2.9 inches times 27 makes the choke guide at 78 inches which is only 3 inches from the tip. Fuji MNSG 40 is about 2.5 inches tall and guide placement falls at 40 inches from reel spool. Too much in my opinion. I know placements are approximate only but how much fudge room do i I have? At 30 inches I have 3 inches space and at 25 inches I have 3.5 inches to cover. Size 40 is the largest guide that I have and it is only 2.5 inches in height. I know that I have to compromise but what would you say is the range in placement of that first guide? Is 25 inches from the reel spool too close or is 30 inches too far? For certain 35 to 40 is too far in my opinion and I don't have the option of a bigger guide. Any help or opinions would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 27 times guide placement help
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2013 06:27PM

Where the tip is doesn't matter. There is no specified distance from the choker guide to the tip, only from the reel spool to the choker guide. Completely forget about the distance from choker to the tip. It doesn't matter.

That's a pretty good sized reel. I would steer you towards a higher framed guide rather than the MNSG. If you can find one to your liking. What line size and type are you using? If you're using braid, or a light supple mono, you can easily get away with a smaller ring guide (shoot for a higher frame) than a #40. Depending on the line type, I'd generally try to keep the butt guide at 25 inches or less from the reel.

Date: August 03, 2013 07:40PM

Hi Tom
This blank is rated 80 lb line and is for casting large poppers to tuna. I need a strong guide and already have the mnsg on hand but could change if you can suggest a high frame guide that would work . Plan to fill the reel with 80 hollow spectra and a very short fluorocarbon top shot that will be past the tip when casting ...probably only 6 ft long.

Date: August 03, 2013 08:26PM

I can't keep up with all the various guide types around these days but I'd look for a high frame spinning model rather than a high frame casting model (I know some people do use the MNSG for spinning). An SVSG perhaps? That might get you a little more height.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 03, 2013 09:45PM

The KW series offers a double foot guide that is higher then the MSNG. They also have a size 50. Here is the link for the handy/dandy chart.

[anglersresource.net]

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 04, 2013 10:30AM

Thanks so very much for all the responses. I am going to order the KW guides with the SIC rings. Thanks again.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lnse3.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 06, 2013 05:28AM

You will find most high level factory rods for this type of work use MNSGs as they are considered stronger than the K series. This came up recently on another forum and at least one rep from a highly regarded company said they do this and only use K guides in the lighter line classes.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.208.---)
Date: August 06, 2013 09:19PM

I'm no expert on the strength issues, but have built a lot of 27X and often have found that I need a first guide from one series of guides to get the height, then use lower guides for the rest of the transition guides. (Like a Y then V's) With smaller reels that is often only three guides; I expect you will need more. You are in essence doing a cone of flight system leading to one running guide. You probably need to do a lot of test casting.

Date: August 07, 2013 10:08AM

In the COF system, the guide rings have to be very, very large in order to match the entire "cone" of line coming off the reel all the way around, not just height-wise. This is why the NGC in any version isn't really very similar to the COF.

Posted by: Carlos Saravia (---.sub-174-237-33.myvzw.com)
Date: August 11, 2013 06:10AM

One comment/observation. I am very new here and I am just building my first rod but I too am using the NGC system. After re-reading the article that is often posted around here to explain the ngc system, I verified my initial suspicion: the lip spool should be measured in Milimeters, and then multiplied by 27 in order to find the distance in Milimeters from the spool face to the choker guide.

Perhaps this is why your initial measurement are off. If not sorry for interrupting, just trying to help.

Carlos

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 11, 2013 01:22PM

And then that can be changed into inches with a chart found on the internet

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster