I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Todays Challange!
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2013 08:29PM

A Fellow brought a rod to me today to have the guides replaced, he's not going to fish it it's for display. the rod is 6' 5" long Square STEEL with Cork grips. To make the Challange more interesting the Guides are mounted with Brass Sleeves. So I carefully cut the brass sections with a dremal tool
Ten had to use a sharp Awl and a small plastic mallet to split the brass and peel it off. Looks like the brass was Silver Soldered on to the steel,a couple of the guides are still attached to the brass. I will have to file the solder spots flat and then rewrap,might use Copper Thread to reattach the new guides

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2013 08:36PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Todays Challange!
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2013 08:48PM

That sounds like a challenge alright. You might consider a brass metallic thread to do the re-wrapping since that was the original.

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2013 12:41PM

Barry to get the solder off use a Butane torch and a damp rag. That will wipe off no problem. I would heat the guides the same way. That brass is just a band used to hold everything together. Kind of unique if you ask me. To hold them in place just re solder them on with silver solder and flux Then wrap over that.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Date: August 03, 2013 12:48PM

My Grandfather had one like that in his wood shed he use to use for Trout. Man that brings back memories. I bet that rod was built around 1944. During the war they used what ever they could find to fish. That brass are probably old cartridge cases. It is not as hard to do as you think anyone can solder.

Lone Wolf Rods
God Bless

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 03, 2013 07:18PM

I had a square steel Tru-Temper casting rod in the early 50's. It was a hand-me-down then, but I believe it had the original rod wrappings, which I remember were green silk thread. The thread took a beating on those four 90 degree corners, and I had to re-wrap the guides. I suspect the wire and solder you found on your blank are not original. This was my first "rod building" project, and my only source of instruction was instruction in a Boy Scout Manual on how to whip finish the end of a rope.

Posted by: Ron Jennings (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 07:47PM

That will be a really cool display keepsake when you get finished Barry.And yes that will be a little bit of a challenge for sure

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 01:44PM

Wow !

I am really curious on who was the maker of those monsters! Thats the only word that comes to mind for me on this! I have seen the bamboo, wood, heavy glass, graphite but that one I have not seen yet or even come across. I would have to pass up the opportunity to even begin to restore something like that! I will have to retake a crash course on my metal skills to even begin the project LOL . Very interesting pics thanks for posting them !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Date: August 06, 2013 07:14PM

Like I said before my Grandfather had one just like that and a telescoping rod all metal. That would be a honor to re due something with that much history.

Lone Wolf Rods
God Bless

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2013 09:51PM

Was told by another builder that the corners are VERY hard on Thread Wraps

Posted by: chip burdick (---.sub-70-215-0.myvzw.com)
Date: August 27, 2013 06:27AM

Nice project. For display I would take a dremel with a buffing wheel and jeweler's rouge after and bring that shine out. Take the solder stains off it from the heat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster