I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Guide sizing for 11' 8wt Deer Creek switch rod?
Posted by: John Calsbeek (---.missoulaartmuseum.org)
Date: August 01, 2013 03:49PM

Hi all,

I've been gleaning excellent information from this site for years and decided to register and join in.

I am looking to get started on a 11' 8wt TFO Deer Creek switch rod that I am building up for a friend. The TFO site offers a guide spacing but not the sizing, as I have never built anything but standard fly rods, I am looking for advice on guide sizing for a rod of this size. Also, TFO recommends 20 and 16 for stripping guides but I know that they tend to oversize the stippers on fly rods. Does a rod this size need a size 20 stripping guide? I was actually surprised they do not recommend three strippers. I'd love to hear from some experience switch rod builders/fishermen.

Thank you,
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2013 11:06PM by John Calsbeek.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide sizing for 13' 8wt Deer Creek switch rod?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 04:19PM

No need for a 20, start with 16 then 12, the rest running guides the size you would use any 8 wt fly rod.

Date: August 01, 2013 04:33PM

Thanks Phil. That makes so much sense that I didn't think of it!

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 04:39PM

You might wish to go with larger running guides than you would with a rod designed for regular fly lines. He will have a running line connected by loops to his switch head and again loops connecting either a floating tip or sinking tip. Most switch and spey rods have larger guides to allow for these loops.

Date: August 01, 2013 04:40PM

Good to know Randolph. Thanks.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 04:47PM

All guides are sized to the line being used

BUT

You have to check to make sure Your Line and knots will pass thought the guides

Sorry it takes a little Experimenting

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 01, 2013 06:23PM

Larger includes the tip also. Mudhole has extra large fly rod tips. That is what I use on all of my switch/spey rods. No problems with lines passing through.

Posted by: John Calsbeek (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 08:22PM

I intend on using Snake Brand Universals, I don't think they make a large hoop tip top.

But I am also curious about this set-up described above by Randolph. Can't you just cast a normal 8wt line or a spey line rated for the rod?

Date: August 01, 2013 08:43PM

Yes, you can cast a normal 8wt line, but it isn't going to work very well. I would refer you to the Spey Pages forum and if you send me an e-mail I will send you information on lines for switch and spey lines. rjruwe2@comcast.net.

Date: August 01, 2013 09:31PM

Thanks again Randolph, but I don't need to delve into spey lines and have more distractions than I already do!

Date: August 01, 2013 09:31PM

Thanks again Randolph, but I don't need to delve into spey lines and have more distractions than I already do!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 10:30PM

It really depends upon how you intend to use the switch rod! Some use it only for nymph fishing in order to get the additional length for line mending. If that is the case, no need for any larger guide sizes then an 8wt would need.

If using it for Spey casting, guides just large enough to pass the knots or loops while stringing up and retrieving is all that's needed as the knots and loops are outside the guides when Spey casting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2013 10:31PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: August 01, 2013 10:34PM

Well if your customer doesn't have the right set up for the rod, then there is no reason for him to have a custom rod made. The more information you can give him the more he is going to appreciate your knowledge and your care to see that he gets the best rod available and the best set up for him to enjoy your rod.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 10:50PM

Info is good above.
BTW - a fly rod only has one stripping guide. The other two-footed guides are just that - two-footed guides.
Also - that rod is a Spey rod not a Switch rod.

Your rod has a regressive action. A proper switch rod is more progressive.
herb

Posted by: Steve Wright (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 11:01PM

we will end the confusion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2013 04:21PM by Steve Wright.

Date: August 01, 2013 11:14PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Info is good above.
> BTW - a fly rod only has one stripping guide. The
> other two-footed guides are just that - two-footed
> guides.
> Also - that rod is a Spey rod not a Switch rod.
>
> Your rod has a regressive action. A proper switch
> rod is more progressive.
> herb

Sorry for the misinformation...it is an 11' 8wt (400-600 grain) DC Switch rod. I changed the post title, sorry again.

As for the customer, he is a good friend of mine and I am not a professional. I've made 5 rods and thoroughly enjoy the process and want to make more. So when he told me that he was considering a switch rod for Great Lakes steelhead, I offered to build one for cost. He is brand new to steelheading so this rod will just be a beginner tool for him. I assume he will learn about different line rigs as he progresses into the fishing.

So I really appreciate the detailed info, I love fly rods and love learning as much as I can.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Re: Guide sizing for 11' 8wt Deer Creek switch rod?
Date: August 02, 2013 12:25AM

Read the original post!! He says it is an 11' 8 wt. Switch rod why do you declare it a Spey rod? He never said a word about it being 13". Any rod has only one stripping guide!! The rod is not at all comparable to a 10 or 11 wt. single handed rod. Where did that come from?

Posted by: Steve Wright (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2013 09:53AM

In his original post he said it was a 13' switch rod. Does not sound like either has much experience with spey or switch rods. A 13' deer creek is a spey rod, an 11' is a switch rod. I do know something aout them since I spend about three months in the fall chasing steelhead in the PNW. I actually have two deer creek spey rods.

As a switch rod the 8wt is still not rated like a single handed rod, it will be more like a 10wt single handed rod. Here are the line recommendations from TFO -
[www.templeforkflyrods.com]

There was a thread on Speypages a while back about which rod to use for the Great Lakes region. I remember looking at it, but did not pay that much attention since I don not fish there. I think that the 8wt might be over kill for most of the fishing there? Would depend on the size of fish and water. I am thinking the 6wt or 7wt would be plenty. My first spey rod was a deer creek 8/9 with Skagit heads 625-650 grains. It was overkill even on fish to 35-36" and I sold it. Much happier with a lighter rod. He most likely will start out with a Skagit or switch line with tips, so guides should be on the larger size to accommodate the loop to loop connections.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2013 11:01AM

Each switch rod is rated differently and depends on the grain window that the rod is designed for.

Switch rods in most cases do require a heavier single handed line than the rating to properly load the rod for most casters. The grain window also helps select the correct Skagit or Scandi line to load the rod.

The TFO Deer Creek 11' 8 Wt Switch rod grain window is 400-600 grains. Pretty beefy for steelhead. An 8 Wt. line should be in the neighborhood of only 225 grains. The TFO site recommends a 12 Wt. single handed line for this rod, and Skagit and Scandi lines in the above grain window. A 12 Wt line is around 400 grains so the jives with the CCS info and the info on the TFO site.

As for your original question on guide size, I usually use #4 snakes as running guides, sometimes #3's but make sure there is adequate room for line and connecting knots with the #3.

Hope this all helps. The 2-handed rod line matching can be quite an adventure. The new line offerings for these rods are changing constantly. All the more reason to confirm with the manufacturer and with CCS measurements on what line match is best. I think the move to listing grain windows is a step in the right direction as you can pick the correct line a little easier. Not a full CCS process but an improvement.

Terry

Date: August 02, 2013 12:12PM

Hi guys, I am really sorry for the confusion -- Randolph, I did make an error on the OP an listed the rod as 13' I didn't catch it until I read Steve's response about it being a Spey rod. So I went back and edited the OP. I apologize for creating conflict.

As for the rest of the comments, again, much appreciated. I'm not sure how my friend arrived at the 8wt, like I said he is pretty new to steelheading, but I think a guide on the PM recommended an 8wt. But maybe he was talking about a single hand 8, not sure.

All I know is I am going to build the rod and I appreciate the advice. I am going to call Mike at Snake, but I will probably go with something like 16-12-6-4-4-4-4.....

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster