I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rule of thumb for guides?
Posted by: Mark McIntyre (---.goblinshare.com)
Date: August 01, 2013 01:34PM

I know there have some rules of thumb for how many guides a rod needs. The last one seemed to be one guide per foot of rod length, plus one, plus a tip top. I know this is still good for many rods but wonder if anyone has devised a newer rule for using when the micro guides are used on a casting rod. I know the height varies but being so small any differences in this company's #3 and that company's #3 is not much. Is there decent rule of thumb to fall on to get things just about right when using them. Two per foot, one and a half per foot, or something like that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rule of thumb for guides?
Posted by: Andres Perez (---.coastalsystemsint.com)
Date: August 01, 2013 01:43PM

Your best bet is to get extra guides and do a static load test. The remaining guides, if any, can be used on the next build.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 02:59PM

Then go outside and test cast the rod try less test again add and test again
Some times less is more

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: August 01, 2013 04:16PM

I went and counted my rods with the smallest guides and they seem to fall in around 1.75 guides per foot of overall length. You can round up or down depending how you feel about it. Not sure where other's will come in but that might be a good number to start with when first setting up.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2013 04:19PM

Mark,

While certainly not set in stone, many of the rods I build with micro guides typically end up with the length in feet plus two guides. However, on some rods you'll use L in feet plus one, and other rods may take an extra guide or two if they are very limber in the upper half of the rod. The static test will help with this determination.

Joe

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 04:31PM

I think it totally depends on the blank characteristics and the fish you target.

Some fish ultra fast action rods that are going to need a lot of guides no matter how you slice it. Some fish for fast, hard running fish, where any contact between line and blank could be catastrophic.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 04:41PM

Nothing is written in stone

If you want find a well known company and just use there sizes and spacing

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2013 12:50AM

Russell,
Right on. I also think that for this type rod, where hard fast running fish are consistently being caught, that it is likely that micro guides are really not the best guide to use on the rod.

If you have to use a guide every 2 or 3 inches to keep it clear from the blank, compared to using a taller guide of 4-5 inches, it just seems counter productive to put that many guide on a rod, no matter the size.

But, of course, everyone has their own opinion.

As Mr. Kirkman has said many many times, use the guide style, height and number of guides that make sense for the rod blank the power of the rods, and the fish being caught.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster