I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What is Syncork -
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: August 01, 2013 06:44AM

What exactly is Syncork? Being advertised on Thorne Brothers ice rods and I don't want to spend $112.99 to get a look at the grip.

"Stealth options-available on all panfish, perch and walleye blanks Featuring a 5" Syncork contoured handle with a recess for your reel foot that is not only comfortable but also 30% lighter than cork. "

Thanks, Buzz

"Fishermen are born honest. But they get over it." - Ed Zern

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is Syncork -
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 07:58AM

Do a search here, there're a bunch of posts. I don't know how they glue it together without it coming apart

Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 08:53AM

hey buzz, I sent you an email...

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 08:54AM

It's a plastic material that like tree barks, etc. must be glued to the blank and turned to work, turning with a mandrel than reaming will cause the handle to come apart at the glue lines with the adhesives I have. If they are selling preformed grips they must have come up with a better adhesive.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 12:04PM

Buzz,
I have talked to the chemist who came up with the material. Basically, it is a plastic material that comes out in a sheet - much like cork. Then, rings are punched out, much like cork.
Due to the nature of the material, since it really doesn't absorb glue, it is a tough material to glue. I believe that all of the rods are built by first gluing the rings to the blank and then turning the rod blanks on the lathe. Thus the grips are turned, as the blank is spun.
But, when done this way, the grips are very tough, don't show dirt, do not absorb water, are not hurt by the sun and just give a really good grip for all types of fishing.

Be safe

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2013 01:39PM

I've found that with time the glue joints tend to get dark and eventually fail if the blank flexes. This happened on rods loaded sitting in rod holders for extensive periods of time. I doubt the same failure would have occurred on hand held rods.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 03:02PM

Sounds like you will be better with Carbon Fiber grips

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: August 02, 2013 02:04AM

I got some synthetic rings from Thorne Bros a few years ago. I think it was Syncork. mine were black.

I heard it was hard to glue so I had them glue it up and had them ship to me. Well, the rings came apart at the glue joint so I never got to use it. just one data point.

Mo

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2013 01:30PM

Mo,
Syncork works very well if the rings are glued to the blank and then the blank is turned to shape the rings. Not so well if the rings are glued up separately.

The material is a rather dense, very long wearing material that is very suitable for many different kinds of rods that get hard use. Very very tough.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster