I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Blank Selection Advise
Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 30, 2013 05:53PM

Hi All,

I've been building rods for about one year now and my oldest grandson (7) has really shown an interest in fishing. He would spend hours at the lake casting his rod off the dock in the evenings. Well this time up north he asked me to make him a fishing rod for his next birthday. How can you say no to that? He was using a spinning rod off the dock and doing quite well with it. He picked up the technique very quickly. When he would go out with his Dad or myself we would troll and then he used a spin cast rod. The reel kinda suck, but other than that he did pretty good.

So my question to everyone is what blank should I use for his rod? I'm looking for recommendations for both spinning and casting.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Blank Selection Advise
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: July 30, 2013 06:16PM

I would look at a general purpose rod about 6 feet in length but no longer. A fast taper rod rated for about 1/4 to 3/8th ounce lures. Most likely I'd build it for a spinning reel, unless he's already using a spincast model. This would be a good all-around rod for a variety of species, including bass and walleyes. Something marketed as a "spin bass" blank should be good for him.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2013 07:01PM

A tad more information might be helpful to dial this sort of thing in. What species is he fishing for? Is he using bait or lures?

Obviously you'd want to select a rod blank that has a casting weight range to match the lures or bait he's throwing. At a young age like that I wouldn't burden him with too much length, although I don't think that a 6 footer is necessarily too long.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 07:16PM

IMHO, kids grow up quick and tend to treasure certain gifts from grandpa and dad. While I have no data I'd be willing to wager at least one forum member has a rod (not to mention a gun) his dad or grandpa gave him.

My point is that I think it makes sense to give him something "good enough" for the long haul. Give him something, that while attainable, is also a challenge. Don't saddle him with something that is "only a toy". Give him something that will allow him to prove that he is serious. Give him something that puts him on equal ground and gives him a fighting chance against any other fisherman.

Now I have no idea where he lives and what he fishes for (although google might suggest MN for you). Maybe crappie or walleye are king in his area....I dunno. You could probably do something quality but budget friendly with an MHX blank and a pflueger spinning reel. Heck, I don't think that age is too young to consider a baitcaster.

You did say "oldest grandson"....as in there could be more in the wing. Might well be your start at a second childhood too my friend. And from personal experience, don't overlook the girls.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-137.myvzw.com)
Date: July 30, 2013 08:00PM

Having built these same rods for kids in either spin or spin cast is the Batson SP721-2 Rx 6 multi purpose blank. Won't break the bank but make a great 1st rod 2-6 lb test 1/16-1/4 oz lure. Great learning rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2013 08:02PM by Dick Ross.

Date: July 30, 2013 08:38PM

Thanks for all for helping me with some great suggestions. You were right there should have been a little more information provided. I do live in Minnesota and the fish most likely being pursued would be sunnies, crappies, northern pike, walleyes and bass. I know that one rod won't cover the whole spectrum, but most likely will be used at one time or another for them. Russell was also correct about having more grandchild coming up behind him in the near future. I have 5 total in all and I believe each one (boys and girls) will be getting a fishing rod at some point in their future. I'm leaning towards a multi-purpose 6 foot rod to start with in the medium power range.

Chester

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 09:36PM

I recommend choosing a blank which is either fiberglass composite or a thicker walled graphite like RX6.
Kids can be rough on rods so it's best if the blank can take some punishment in stride.

Date: July 30, 2013 09:46PM

David Gilberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recommend choosing a blank which is either
> fiberglass composite or a thicker walled graphite
> like RX6.
> Kids can be rough on rods so it's best if the
> blank can take some punishment in stride.

Great recommendation on choosing rods that can take a little punishment once in awhile.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 31, 2013 01:23AM

Hello Chester.

MudHole has CRB blanks, IM6, lots of different colors and weight ranges; though all are Fast Action (Except the CRB E-Glass; (Larger) rods).

However ALL at a good price.

You can find one that will work for just about any kid big enough to work a 5'6" rod.

You are going to love it.

Tight Wraps and Wide Smiles.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2013 06:43AM

One thing to keep in mind is that a fishing rod isn't necessarily something you outgrow. Unless you build it too short, this kid will be able to use a proper rod throughout his adult life. I think the biggest issue here is rod length. A good compromise now will give him a fishing rod that literally could last a lifetime.

Make it short enough for him to enjoy immediately, but long enough that it's practical when he's 18. Six feet sounds about right, but that depends on the type of fishing the rod will be meant for.

Most importantly...have fun...you have a very special customer you're building this rod for!

Jay

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: July 31, 2013 09:52AM

I will second the CRB blanks. Excellent value and very tough. The 601L would be my first choice.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.208.---)
Date: July 31, 2013 04:00PM

I'm with Russell and Jay, don't consider this a short term rod, do it right as if he were a young adult-he will be soon. I built 6 1/2 foot St. Croix (3s66mf) Avids for two of my grandkids (one male and one female) when they were only about 7 years old,and they took to them really fast, 6 1/2 was not too long for boat fishing. The rod is versatile, will handle the big fish as well as the small, casts a wide variety of lures well. If the child is given proper supervision and instruction early, and if the child is one who takes instructions, then there should be no problems. You may not want to invest in Avids, but get good blanks and components and build a handsome "adult" rod. By the way, a friend of mine, my granddaughter, and I went out on a bass lake recently and the friend got two, my granddaughter got 4, and I got 3. She's 10 now and is quite a fisherman.

Date: July 31, 2013 06:02PM

I want to thank everyone for their input, it was interesting to read all the posts. You are right, building for a grandchild is very special. He enjoys his moments on the lake when it is just the two of us. We fish for awhile then go have some pizza on the lake for lunch and then back to the resort for an afternoon of swimming and fun.

Chester

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 31, 2013 06:30PM

Trust me

That stuff only comes around ( ONCE ) Enjoy it NOW

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster