I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Workbench Height
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 03:18PM

Ok...seriously thinking about starting to finish out my work room.

Some of you may remember I asked a couple months back about bench depth as my room is long (20+' long), but extremely narrow (3'3" wall-to-wall). I'm pretty sure I'm going to mount 12" deep boards on L-brackets to gain as much space as I am able. Hopefully my PacBay wrapper will mount on it fine...I'll have to wait & see as it's in a box somewhere and I can't find it (like everything else I own...ugh!).

So my question now is bench height. I'm thinking my best bet is to build a standing bench. I had one before, but don't remember the exact measurement. On that bench I could stand or use a "task chair"...just like a swivel office chair on casters, but it is tall and goes up to standing height. I'm not sure I'll be able to use my chair even with the 12" deep table. I have it in the room now and the back of the chair is already marking up the rear wall when I push my way up to the tape mark I have on the floor set at 12".

I am 5'10" and certainly plan on doing some first hand research before putting the brackets on the wall...but I also wanted to get others' opinions on what works for them. I've heard some people say 36"-38" works well and I've heard others say that something in the 42"-44" range works better. I also have to keep in mind that the lathe puts the rod a few inches above the table surface.

So, what works for you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Workbench Height
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.sub-70-197-65.myvzw.com)
Date: July 30, 2013 04:01PM

Jay; I work standing up and put my work bench at 37" rom the floor to the top. That puts the center of the lathe chuck at about 43". That's a comfortable height for me. I'm about your height so that may work for you but the lathe chuck may not be as high as mine. I use a Renzetti.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 04:18PM

jay

A lot of info here : [rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Paul Zynosky (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 04:37PM

Jay,

I understand not knowing where anything is. Just unpacked my gear after three years in storage! Your PacBay should easily fit on a 12" shelf. The track on my PacBay is about 6" deep. Just remember the thread carriage will protrude out the front, how much depends which carriage you are using. My work bench is about 36" high and that puts the center of my chuck at about 42".

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 08:15PM

Jay,
I have built a lot of work benches over the years. I have built them and then chopped off legs when they were too tall.
I have finally settled on setting the height of the bench at the height of my belly button minus 1 inch.

It seems like that height works about the best.

Be safe

p.s.
I didn't say - to set it at your belt buckle, because I don't know how high you wear your slacks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2013 08:16PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 31, 2013 01:51AM

Jay, I'm 5'11" with back problems. The center of my chuck is at 52" from the floor. Very comfortable working height for ME.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2013 06:27AM

Thanks for the replies so far.

Dennis, I feel for you. We're sort of in the same boat...pinched nerve, herniated disk, sciatic, leaking CSF...and I'm not even 40. S uck s big time...

Anyway, today I should be getting down the flooring. I'm going to give the "click together" rubber flooring a try. I purchased 75sqft yesterday. I figured the softer floor might be better for the back than hard flooring. I was torn between the padded floor and a self-stick laminate (long rectangular pieces that mimics wood flooring). I figured the thin, and harder laminate would be good for the rolling task chair, but if the chair isn't going to work then I might as well get something a little softer to stand on. I also have three foam pad mats that I can lay on the floor for added cushion.

Again, thanks to everyone for what they use. It really gives me some ideas and things to consider.

Jay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2013 06:32AM by Jay Lancaster.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.208.---)
Date: August 06, 2013 09:27PM

The floor color should be as close to white as you can get. For finding dropped micro guides :=) Not sure how you'll bend over to pick them up, though, with only 3' 3". Are you sure that will work?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster