I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod blank
Posted by: larry gach (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2013 06:49PM

About a year ago I built a 3 wt 4 piece rod on a blank that I purchased from the Great Bay Rod Company. Last week I used it for the first time, and I promptly broke the second section just below the ferrule to the tip section. Can anyone suggest where I might be able to obtain a replacement section? It wouldn't have to be a Great Bay part. Any manufacturer's section with the right diameters and length would do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2013 06:56PM

That's going to be very hard to find. Why not just contact Great Bay and see what they can do for you? These parts need to fit precisely in order to stay in place, not to mention that the performance and feel of the rod will change completely if the new section is at all far off from the original.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2013 07:06PM

Tom's advice was the best you are going to get!!

Posted by: larry gach (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2013 07:07PM

Great Bay is no longer in business or I would have contacted them.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2013 07:28PM

I'm afraid you're going to have a tough row to how in finding a replacement part from another manufacturer, unless by some chance that blank was made by one of them for Great Bay. Even then they may not have a replacement.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.205.---)
Date: July 30, 2013 09:45AM

I think you're just going to have to bite the bullet and start over. What I would do would be to go to GetBitOutdoors, sponsor on the left, and look over their 50% off discontinued blanks. You'll find a 4 piece 3 wt. 8 1/2 feet. I have a different weight of that blank and it's beautiful in the green. I have not built it up yet so cannot comment on how it fishes. However, I've never been disappointed by Batson/Rainshadow blanks.

Your rod didn't break in the female ferrule, did it? I broke one last year and I thought it might be that I hadn't put the sections together firmly enough and it loosened and broke through the female ferrule.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 11:26AM

Larry,
I think your best bet is to splice a new section into the rod.

Find a piece of rod section that makes a match for the tip section. i.e a perfect fit. Then, use that piece to act as a mating piece for the original blank and splice the piece into the original blank.

You will have a slightly stiffer area in the area of the splice but it will still be a very nice and usable rod.

You should be able to make the splice using standard blank repair techniques in about 30 minutes.

Be safe.

Roger

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.205.---)
Date: July 31, 2013 07:57AM

The problem with splicing a new piece into the rod is that if the rod broke once, will it break again in a new spot? I agree that splicing works, but it won't prevent other breaks and the rod has already been proven unreliable.

If you choose to start over you can use your reel seat and all guides again.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2013 04:11PM

Maybe yes, manybe no on splicing.

Splice it and see if it breaks again, as long as you handle it correctly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster