I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Red Fish Rods
Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.static.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: July 29, 2013 11:19PM

I've have a customer who has asked me about a 8 ft. and a 8'6" red fish rod by Castaway. This is for a business fishing trip my client is sponsoring for some of his clients. He's ask me to build 2 rods. Problem is I have never seen nor do I live close to a redfish. (Tennessee). I don't know if they are spinning or casting. I do know they are not fishing with live bait. I think the handles are a little longer than a bass rod. He tells me the rods were described to him as "souped up" bass rods.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red Fish Rods
Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 29, 2013 11:54PM

If you are used to building bass rods, you can use pretty much the same setup for redfish, although you will have to make sure you are using saltwater tolerant components. Most of my redfish rods are spinning rods, though, I know a few people that used casting rods (but not many). If money is no object, I would use titanium frame guides, lite Amtac Titans or Fuji TYSG's.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 12:40AM

A Castaway 8' XP3 964 or 965 are great blanks to build redfish rods on. You say you don't know if they are casting or spinning rods or if they are using live bait or not, we'll those are questions that you have to ask and communicate with your customer on. You have to know the basics of how they plan on using the rods and what type of lures or bait they plan on using whether they'll be casting and reeling or soaking live or dead bait under a cork.

I specialize in building redfish rods and build many dozens of them each year. As for handles you can make them anywhere from 10" to 12" long. Titanium guides are ok but you can get by with regular stainless steel guides such as Batson,Fuji or American Tackle. Built spiral wrapped is my preference with straight on top micros in size 4 is a very close second.

I wouldn't call them "souped up bass rods because the above blanks I mentioned are also great cranking rods for bass and are very capable of handling 30 plus inch redfish.

Lance

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 08:22AM

You could do a Google search on Tackle for Red Fish The area he wants to fish and you should get some pretty good ideas of what is suggested to use Even how to set up the line lures

Also find several articles and send them to your customer to look over

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2013 08:25AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 09:41AM

Mark, I can tell you that Lance (or Bill Stevens) are the best source for the redfish rods. I tried some of my best bass rods and tackle....and what is required for redfish is definitely different.
Swampland is your best contact.
Wish I had some of Big Al's seafood!!
Bill

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 09:48AM

A "rat" red weighs a pound or two, a "bull" red weighs 30+...I'd narrow things down before I started ordering components. I would also consider technique. Live bait is one consideration but consider that redfish hit topwater plugs (baitcast built for dog-walking - 20# able to handle 1oz spooks), soft plastic grubs ( 1/4 to 1/2 oz, 10-20lb braid, spinning), spoons (1/2 to 3/4 oz 10 -15lb braid, long casting spinning) and even spinnerbaits. 8 ft is longer than most redfish rods I think. The only application I can think of for a rod that long is skinny water where the rod tip is held high to run a bait through 12 to 24 inches of water or hold line high and away from oysters and such when a fish is hooked. Handle length is still personal preference.

Lance is spot on, and I think he'd agree that some of us carry as many rods for redfish as a bassaholic does for bass. ;)

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 10:23AM

Has your client ever fished for redfish and does he know the area that he plans to fish? Once you get all of the information then give Lance at Swampland Tackle a call. He is the man to ask about redfish fishing; he lives in the redfish capital of the world. I have spent most of my adult life chasing reds and build my rods. The Fuji alconite guides are my choice for guides. They hold up very well for saltwater applications. As for rod blanks, whenever I have a build in mind for myself, I give Lance a call and have not been disappointed in what he chooses for me.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 01:16PM

Insufficient data. I fish the Mosquito Lagoon (no tidal current) where redfish run 15" to 32", rarely larger, with a 9 wt fly rod. I fish the ocean entrance to the lagoon (strong tides) where redfish run 30" to 48" with a conventional reel filled with 280 yards of #20 mono and a matching rod. Rods need to match conditions and the size of the fish. Find out where and how your customer plans to fish and the size of the fish he is likely to encounter. Not knowing these things guarantees a dissatisfied customer.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: July 30, 2013 02:17PM

The request for an 8'6" rod does have you wondering. Could be he is after red drum from the beaches. As in surfcasting for them. Otherwise even an eight foot blank is sorta uncommon.

I did buy an eight foot popping rod but only because the fish we have are in skinny water and I wanted the extra casting distance.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 04:44PM

That is why a search with the -- area -- will give you -- and your customer an idea of what to use if he has not done it before

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.static.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: July 30, 2013 10:17PM

From what I know so far, live bait is not being used. Waiting for a little more info. Thanks for the comments.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster