I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod blank with action similar to Winston B3x
Posted by: David Christian (---.dsl.wacotx.swbell.net)
Date: July 27, 2013 10:37AM

I have a Winston B3x 9' 5wt and a B2x 9' 6wt. These have my favorite actions. I own various Sages, St Croix, Loomis, and other brands but the Winston actions described above best fit me for trout and inland panfish fishing. I have built several rods with Batson, Pac Bay, and other blanks but have not found what I like. The obvious answer is to buy a Winston blank, but I would like to avoid that expense if there is something out there that is comparable.
I have considered Sevier, Dan Craft, MHX blanks but would appreciate any input from someone more familiar with these or any other blanks.
Thanks in advance,
David Christian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod blank with action similar to Winston B3x
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2013 02:16PM

Winston actions tend to be quite unique, I'm a Winston fan myself and have not found any similar action blanks.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: July 27, 2013 03:08PM

Use CCS to measure your existing rods and you should be able to find something that is at least close (Mudhole MHx, PacBay Quickline would be my starting points since they list CCS values).
It is more challenging to achieve the same weight since the Winston blanks are very light. Might need to consider one of the newer "nano-resin" blanks, which of course cost a lot more and may not be a better option than Winston.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: July 27, 2013 08:27PM

David,
I'm also a fan of the Winston line.
Thomas and Thomas is very close in "feel".
Sorry, I can't remember the particular model.
The new Sage Circa is a step in the right direction from their usual offerings.
I've not cast the new Loomis NRX Lite but reports I've read are also a step in the right direction.
Nothing in the CCS system will steer you toward an equivalent "feel".
Impossible to define but a joy to cast.

Good luck,
Gene

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 27, 2013 08:29PM

Have you tried talking to Dan Craft Ent. about his Boron fly models?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 27, 2013 08:48PM

The more components of the CCS system that you match, the closer the "feel" will be. Dr. Hanneman has penned several articles in RodMaker recently explaining not only this, but how to change the "feel" of any rod you already own.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2013 09:28PM

David,
CTS will build a blank on their, now discontinued, Maxim taper which would fit your bill. But you don't state the rod weight you want.
Herb

Posted by: Peter Chan (71.181.83.---)
Date: July 27, 2013 10:03PM

Only recently, I have come to truly appreciate an older, "traditional feel" Winston IM6 graphite rod I purchased back in the 1990s. I am so HAPPY that I held on to this rod! I own or have built on Sage, Orvis, TFO, and Batson graphite blanks and I agree with an earlier reply that Winston tapers tend to be rather unique. If you truly enjoy and favor the Winston models you listed, I am going to tell you and anyone else out there that has a similar affinity for a particular brand of blank to quit skimping and go ahead and purchase that more expensive blank! If things are a bit tight for you right now, sell some of those other rods and fishing gear on @#$%& or craigslist. All of us rod builders/makers have tools and supplies lying around that we will never use, but hoard for just in case or because we payed x amount to acquire them. Let that stuff go and get your Winston blanks. You enjoy fishing and rod building. Life is too short as is our time on the water.

-Peter

Dead men don't fish or enjoy nice rods... some of them just sleep with the fishes!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 28, 2013 12:31AM

Peter above, makes an excellent point..............you can search an build blanks that others recommend that may be "close" to what you like, but still NOT there! The time and $ spent trying to save a little $ can still leave you unsatisfied, better to spend a little more then you wish now, and be happy with the results.It's known as the "perceived value", or "cheap, but not satisfying!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster