I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How Many Coats of Color Preserver and How Long Drying Time?
Posted by: Phil Hageman (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 08:53AM

Using Madeira Polyneon 40 with ChromaSeal CP. Intend to finish with Flex Coat. Two questions - how many coats of CP and, how long to dry before applying the Flex Coat?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2013 08:56AM by Phil Hageman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How Many Coats of Color Preserver and How Long Drying Time?
Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 09:35AM

I use ChromaSeal with Maderia a lot.

I put on 3 coats, and allow the last one to dry overnight or all day. I have never had a problem with fisheyes. Two just does not seem to be enough for me.

Bert Nagy

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: July 26, 2013 09:45AM

G'Day Phil I also use Chromaseal on Polyneon & have done for a number of years without any problems but I only use 2 coats & have never had any fish eyes & I let dry overnight between coats .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.static.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 26, 2013 11:55AM

Phil,
I use U40 CP with that thread. Two good soaking coats, dry time for the second coat is 10 hours. Then I am confident I can apply finish with no problems.

Posted by: Phil Hageman (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 12:43PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the good advice - gets my feet on the ground. Did a two-axis (0 and 180 degree) pinwheel dec wrap on this rod, plus it's my first time with Polyneon, so I don't want to take any chances - will apply three coats CP. Again, thanks for the help.

Posted by: Ed Hickl (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 01:12PM

I haven't used Madeira Polyneon yet but I have seen it suggested to put a few of the cut-off threads of the polyneon into the mixed epoxy and stir around a bit as a way to minimize fisheye. But it maybe that multiple coats of CP and allowing time for full dry is a way to go.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 02:05PM

What is your reason to use more than one coat?

Lots of folks - including myself - only use one coat with 0 issues.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 03:19PM

Roger, I thought you have been saying that you don't use CP at all? :>)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 04:14PM

Randy,
I seldom use CP, but if I do, I only use one coat.
As I have said before, I only use CP, if the client asks for it.

Be safe

Date: July 26, 2013 04:41PM

I know Roger, I was just teasing you a little bit.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 04:43PM

Just for Ho Ho's i put mine on a turning rod Ya get more of an even coat
Put a coat on let it soak in Maybe 30 min Depends on temp Then on A one more You will be able to see that the second coat covers well and tends to look like finish Let dry overnight Then finish

On a butt wrap -- You will probable be better off with Three

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2013 04:45PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 06:40PM

If you use one coat of CP on a Dec Wrap you WILL have blotches/discoloration. YOu might get lucky and get a perfect color retention, but I guarantee if you use 1 coat of CP on your DW's you're gonna make a mistake one day and end up with blotches. I use 2 coats, but you need to figure out how many you need yourself. For me, the second coat is a protection against any spots that I missed the first time, and/or that soaked in and didn't seal the thread enough.

As far as when to apply finish, you need ot know when the CP dries. I have waited as little as an hour with no problems at all. I know the wraps a few weeks ago that I posted pics of - the CP was taking 3 hours to dry because it was unbelievably humid. Err on the side of waiting longer than you have to Post pics of the wrap too..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2013 06:51PM

One coat is usually enough on guide wraps. More than two is not at all necessary (unless you're one of those that heavily thins the product and ends up putting mostly just water on the thread).

For that reason, two wet coats a few hours apart is enough to be safe, but not so many that you'll have any problems.

Allow to dry at least overnight, 24 hours is even better, but not absolutely necessary.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 07:25PM

If you thin it at least Three coats

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 26, 2013 07:36PM

While people do it, there is no reason to have to thin any of the CP's available on the market. They all work as good as they are going to work without needed to be thinned.

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 07:39PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One coat is usually enough on guide wraps. More
> than two is not at all necessary (unless you're
> one of those that heavily thins the product and
> ends up putting mostly just water on the thread).

I'm guilty as charged here ... I thin the heck out of it.

I usually do 3 coats but to be totally honest what I use is a Melamine and Vinyl Adhesive.

Same stuff I use for gluing my bark rings and my inlays together just not thinned for this purpose.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (87.244.117.---)
Date: July 26, 2013 07:40PM

Ed Hickl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't used Madeira Polyneon yet but I have
> seen it suggested to put a few of the cut-off
> threads of the polyneon into the mixed epoxy and
> stir around a bit as a way to minimize fisheye.
> But it maybe that multiple coats of CP and
> allowing time for full dry is a way to go.

I always mix in some of the madeira thread with the epoxy when I use chromaseal cp on Madeira threads in my weaves to prevent fisheye contamination. And when i apply heat to the finish with an alcohol torch/lamp,,,, i never get any contamination.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Date: July 26, 2013 08:35PM

Billy, the only reason to thin the CP is if it is older and starting to thicken. I have had this happen, I also have some Flex coat CP from 30 years ago that is still good.. Matter of fact, I just used it on a rod and it worked great. I didn't have to do any thinning.

Date: July 26, 2013 08:40PM

If it's old, spend $2 for a new bottle. I'mnot giving advice to 1 or 2 people, but making a genreal recommendation for all those that are going to read this and really not know what they are doing. The problem with a lot of these recommendations is that they do work for individuals, but there aren't specific instructions or hands on tutorials showing how to do it. IE...telling someone to thin their CP - should they be thinning with lighter fluid? How much should they thin? It's BAD ADVICE. Use the product as it was formulated, practice and understand what YOU NEED TO DO to get it to work, and stick with it/ Do not rely on internet people who you never met, who you never seen a rod they built - for accurate info. You're asking for a mess that took you many hours to complete and botch/butcher.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 26, 2013 10:38PM

Hi Phil,
I also use a lot of madeira thread, on guides wraps as well and only ever had one problem. I also use three coats of chromaseal and let the last one dry overnight. I find it's better to be safe than sorry. Never had a fisheye and get spool colours.
As for putting madeira thread in the finish mix to prevent fisheyes it works but the lighter colours will turn translucent without cp, the darker ones remain fairly unchanged. As for thinning cp never done it and wouldn't suggest it for madeira. When I first started using madeira I was using a watery cp and that gave "blotchy" colour with the blank showing through. I changed to the much thicker chromaseal and have never had a problem since.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster