I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Seeker super fluker heavy guide ideas
Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 25, 2013 07:27PM

Well I just got my seeker super fluker heavy rod blank today in the mail and I am absolutely in love with this thing! This blank is like a dream come true! It's moderate action with a slower taper and possibly the lightest blank I have ever held for the rating it has. This thing is going to be stupid fun to fish montauk fluke and porgies, deep water sea bass and bass jigging come November. I am just so glad that somebody "got it" for the north east fisherman. This blank bends its not stiff as a board like many similar rated blanks. Meaning when your fishing 200 plus feet for sea bass and porgies with braided line the softness of the blank counter acts the zero stretch of the braid and the fish don't rip the hook out of there faces. Nor does this blank have some ultra fast taper with a 1 1/4 OD butt with a number 6 tube tip that is useless for moving heavy sinkers.
Well all that said I want to use cmnag guides for this blank size 20 then all 10s spiral- any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeker super fluker heavy guide ideas
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 25, 2013 07:40PM

Mike, the 20-10's is good for that blank. I don't have any of those in stock right now. I'm glad you like that blank, I'm gonna be building one for my Dad. When you catch some fish on it, let me know how it handles.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2013 11:30PM

What are you guys reeling onto the rod that requires #10s?

Knots...swivels?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2013 11:30PM by Jay Lancaster.

Date: July 26, 2013 07:42AM

[1] The tip on the blank is an 11, so you can't find a size 8-11 top, so for "aesthetics" all the guides are size 10 and so it the tip. IT wouldn't be teh end of the world with all 8's and a 10 top though.
[2] There is a chance the rod will end up getting used for Blackfishing where knots do pass. USing' 8's or 10's on this blank isn't going to matter too much with the finished weight/balance of the rod.
[3] I personally do not like a 20-all 8 set up, for me 20-20's, or 16-8's. Again, to me it just looks better.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-252-1.myvzw.com)
Date: July 26, 2013 08:34AM

Yeah am most likely to use a daiwa saltist black gold 30. The size 10 guides are for looks I could use 8's but then the OCD kicks in because the top ring size is bigger then the running guides. I tie an Albright knot from braid to mono shock leader so the 10's will help pass that too.

Date: July 26, 2013 09:31AM

I like it...thanks guys.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.jsbrcmta02.jnboar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 10:11AM

Just wanted to mention that Batson makes and we stock standard full frame Sz 08 ring black tip tops up to a 12.0 tube.
And in Saltwater flanged ring styles they are available with an 08 ring up to Sz 11.0 tube in Black frame.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: July 26, 2013 10:49AM

I wasn't aware of that ROn, thanks for that info. That's a good option to have.

Date: July 26, 2013 11:28AM

Now aren't you glad I asked?

Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 28, 2013 10:03PM

I really like all Batson stuff especially the alps reel seats. I have not looked into guides so much but thanks for tip it is a real possiblity.
I have another question with a diawa 30 should stripper guide be 20 or 16? I have been getting away from 20's but want to know what people think. Thanks again everybody

Posted by: Steve Kolb (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 31, 2013 12:52AM

I wrapped mine with a #20 Titan turbo as a stripper spiralled with TLDBSG's all the way out to a CMNAT top. The ring on the tip is large but it doesn't bother me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster