I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

UL blank, how long and what brand?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 24, 2013 08:47PM

I'm feeling like I need to upgrade on my old 5'6" fenwick UL rod. Mostly been a salt water guy who didn't need to be concerned with casting much. Times have changed. Been playing around a bit and sorta came to the conclusion that extra length doesn't buy you extra distance if the lure doesn't weigh enough. But hey, I could be wrong.

So say I'm looking for a UL to L power rod for fishing 4-6# class. I'd like it to be fun for panfish yet handle salt water bait catching duty. To put it in brutal terms say I'd like to be able to lift a two pound fish into a boat (or deadlift 4 pounds in a static test). Assume maximum casting weight is 1/8 ounce. Any tips on what optimum length is? Rather not go longer than needed. Light and sensitive are tops on the wish list. Next might be 2 pc. and price.

I'll admit to a man crush for st. croix blanks but have only fished/held their salt water blanks. Thinking maybe 3S66LF2 would do but maybe 4SW66XLM is safer bet?

Then I have to consider using fly rod blanks (or 3 out of four sections of them). Not to mention popping blanks and all the new names I have never tried like bushido, hydra, phenix, etc.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UL blank, how long and what brand?
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2013 08:53PM

Why do you need to lift 4#'s into the boat, don't you have a net?

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2013 09:02PM

Bushido's are a great blank for the money. Built many on these blanks and had not one complaint

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 24, 2013 09:59PM

Randy I understand some of the things I say might seem ridiculous to those that fish other waters and/or in different ways. All I can say is I like to fish light line class relative to the size of the fish. My area doesn't have a many truly big fish but it has a lot of moderate sized fast and powerful fish.

It wouldn't be unusual for me to be bait fishing, catch a one pound frisky bait, and while lifting it into the boat, have said bait inhaled by a speedy/powerful fish. I basically need to know the line will break before the blank under the worst possible conditions.

So it isn't that I intend to lift a four pound fish into the boat. Instead it is a need to know the blank is stronger than the line I intend to fish on it. This isn't a problem for many salt water rated blanks. By the same token it doesn't seem to be the norm for most freshwater blanks.

FWIW, we never have a net on board, only a gaff.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2013 12:04AM

Russell,
You can lift any weight fish that you want in the boat, as long as you don't bend the rod.

Rather than using the rod tip to lift and potentially break a light rod, keep the rod pointed toward the fish and just use your elbow to lift the entire rod vertically .

Basically, choose the action you want and the brand you want.

Many many great blanks of different brands out there.

You have the option to choose what ever you want.

By the way, on an ultra light rod, I would never try flipping the fish into the boat for anything much over about 3/4 lb. Beyond t hat, you are just asking for the rod to break.

Be safe

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2013 10:26AM

Sounds like you are trying to apply bass tactics to ultralight rods Russ. Maybe not the best idea. St. Croix and others have a number of blanks in the 2-8 lb or 4-10 lb line range, which load well with 1/8 oz lures and while technically, you should be able to lift a 4 lb weight on a dead lift and have the line break before the rod. However, it's a different story with a fish near that size, flopping around puts a lot more than 4 lbs stress in short peak periods than just a dead weight. I know you know all this so just stating the obvious. Maybe a net is in order for ultralight fishing.

As far as length goes, you can get some extra distance just from the physics involved. Longer lever arm gets you more speed at the tip and a longer lever to unload at the cast. I would look for something in the 7-8 ft range, which St. Croix has several models available for this method. You could go crazy with some steelhead models in the same line range that are 9' to 10' if you want.

Good luck!

Terry

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2013 10:48AM

I would use a Batson XP 840.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: July 25, 2013 11:01AM

Russell: try an MHX S842-2. two piece or the regular s842 one piece.
It will throw a small 1/16 jig head with a live sand flea or shrimp on it.
Mine is rigged with the small 20 ring Microwave.
Little 1000 or 2000 series reel and some 6# momoi and you have a spec/rat red/small pomp/puppy drum/white trout killing machine.

Fished it on the Pearl River area/ border LA and MS Saturday just past: Had my hooked croaker taken twice while bringing in, once by a jack ,once by a big red.
Both times my reel made nice noises until line parted.
Rod is still good.
Normally use the rod for white bass and bedding shell cracker. I have landed some 5 or 6# gafftops and lots of snagged oyster clumps on it if that tells you something about its toughness.
Price is right too.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: July 25, 2013 03:32PM

Thanks Lou. I would have thought a two power spin/jig too heavy. Appreciate the tip.

Ahhh, just looked and see it rated 4-8. Sounds perfect.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2013 04:17PM

Russ,
that is the Freshwater Spinning series not the spin jig.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 25, 2013 09:21PM

Hello Russell

I like my Phenix FX601-1-B(6', 1-6#, 1/32-1/4 Fast, .311, 4.5)Caught a 3# Dogfish with it while catching glass minnows, great fight.

They make a 2pc. FX601-2-B(6', 1-5#, 1/32-1/4, Fast, .295, 4).Never used the 2pc. my self.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: July 26, 2013 06:00PM

Russel,
You might consider an 7'-8' 3 weight fly blank for your casting duties.
Drop the line to 2# test for extended distance with lures 1/8 oz and less.
The blank may handle your punishment but a long handle net would be a less risky expense.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 29, 2013 09:42AM

Don't forget to look at the Batson line of products. they make some nice ones and are priced reasonably. I just finished a 7' XP840 with guides following the Fuji new KR concept and it works great. If the seven footer is too long for you they do make them shorter.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster