I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trout trolling rod for New England
Posted by: Philip Engle (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2013 03:33PM

Friends: I have an opportunity to go trolling for lake trout in way northern New England (Moore reservoir and the Connecticut lakes, also Lake Seymour or Willoughby). Sounds like a great excuse to build at least a couple rods. However, and am not very sure what rod(s) to make for this application. I will guess that we will be fishing on top as well as with downriggers. My preference is conventional reels. And not spiral wraps (just cant get used to the idea). Any tips as to blank (even just blank specs), and other nuances? Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trout trolling rod for New England
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 24, 2013 04:53PM

Not having done that particular type of fishing, but assuming it is at least similar to trolling for other freshwater species, you might find that a bass cranking rod blank makes a pretty good live bait/crankbait trolling rod for most any freshwater fish. I use a Seeker model and find it fantastic for we do trolling for bass and stripers.

There was an article in RodMaker a few years ago by a fellow up around the Great Lakes that did quite a bit of trolling for lake trout. I'll dig it out tomorrow and see if I can find any specific blank recommendations for you.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.jsbrcmta02.jnboar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 24, 2013 06:24PM

There are a lot of good blanks out there.
For durability and economic price we like the Batson SPG series.
More specific would be in the RDR series.
Depends on line you will be using and how much weight when not downrigging.
As Tom says, Crankbait blanks are another good choice, as are Popping blanks.
here are some links:
[www.schneidersrods.com]

[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Doug Lockwood (---.lightspeed.whtnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2013 07:57PM

I built a trolling rod for Lake Trout and Northern Pike.

My comments are:
EVA is more durable in rod holders than cork.
spiral wraps to keep the reel upright. (it is a very big advantage for this, I would not fish a conventional trolling rod by choice)
I built on the St Croix SGT70M (No longer available)
If I was going to build another I would certainly use Fiberglass blanks.
I gave been told micro-guides have no advantage for a trolling rod. I may have to test that for myself.

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck with your build.

Doug

Posted by: frank kurant (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2013 08:59PM

I do a lot of trolling on Lake Champlain and other smaller lakes in Vermont for slamon and lakers. Most people here like an 8 foot or longer rod with a slow action that will bend all the way to the reel(like a big C). probably a composite blank would be best that is both strong and resilient. there is a lot of stress to the rod when it is loaded up in a downrigger release when the fish hits and the rod pops up.Some guys like the trolling rods by Fish 307 in Lake George NY,however I find them too lite. when I take inexperinced people out for down deep lakers I use my ugly sticks that I have converted to spiral wraps and neve have had a problem.this is the 8" 3" model big water downrigger rod from Shakespear,Something on that idea would be suitable,in my opinion.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2013 10:35AM

Yes, for downrigger fishing, definitely a strong consideration to glass or composite blanks with moderate or slow action. These bend well down the blank which is needed for cushioning against the downrigger load. Something in 8-10 feet long would be a good choice. Check out the Batsons RDR or BP series. Not sure what the fish size you are seeking but if they are medium trout size fish, check the RDR models for trout and kokanee. I use these for kokanee (land locked sockeye here in the NW) and they are great, but a little soft for bigger fish. If these are too light, check the RDR models in the salmon/steelhead section.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster