I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave and spiral wrap?
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2013 02:05PM

Any issues or tricks to using the Microwave guides on a spiral wrapped casting rod? Should I just use a transition guide as the "transition" to the bottom guide? I want to try these on an 8' heavy power crank bait rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave and spiral wrap?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 24, 2013 04:58PM

Because the line doesn't come off the reel spool like it does on a spinning reel, I think you could set up per whatever standard spiral wrap system you currently use. I don't think it will make any difference.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2013 09:47AM

Are you talking about Microwave running guides? I can't figure out why you would use the Microwave butt guide on a spiral wrapped casting rod. Just curious.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 25, 2013 10:00AM

Use regular ringed guides There are no pigtails to control on a casting reel

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2013 12:02PM

Bill,

Of course, if you want to use MICRO guides for a casting rod in a spiral configuration - go for it. (Micro guides are just small single foot guides)

Use a single larger butt guide, and then go on to smaller guides including micros for the runners if you like. I rather prefer the revolver style spiral which uses two or three guides to move the line from the top to bottom of the rod, but the choice is yours.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2013 08:46PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2013 12:30PM

Hi guys,

Bill regarding the spiral wrap rods, they will work great for this application, just as Tom mentioned.

I guess my questions are; why wouldn’t you use the MWG casting guides? What advantages to you receive by not using them? What does other guide configurations offer that the MWG’s do not?

Also I started a new thread above regarding the Casting Edition MicroWave guides.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Date: July 25, 2013 03:54PM

I know this ???

That is why when the CASTING MICROWAVE guides came out I could not understand why

Try them
Then compare to a ringed guide set up Let us know if there is any thing better

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 11:15PM

I have wrapped all my casting rods using spiral wraps since before 1990 and migrated to micros as they became available. I was looking at a set of microwaves for a spinning project and saw that they also come in a casting set. I too did not see much if any advantage on a casting setup so I thought I would ask and see if anyone could respond? The project is an 8' crank bait rod for deep divers like the DD-22 so a few extra yards per cast will help get the big baits deeper and should be easier to cast?

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.205.---)
Date: July 28, 2013 10:14AM

Bill B - There are arguments from both Amtak and Fuji that line control on casting rods is as much an issue, albeit slightly different in cause, as it is on spinning rods. Check out all the recent postings and watch the video on the Anglers Reource site. You may not buy it all, but it does make sense to me. It is logically more than just considering that the level wind eye on the reel takes all line control issues out. Even if it is stationary the line coming rapidly off the reel goes through it at different angles which probably sets up some commotion that could be damped with the right guide geometry. It is not, in my opinion, out of the question that we are now learning stuff that we have taken for granted for years.

Date: July 28, 2013 10:20AM

I was thinking about that
Those guides might help to center the line when it is off to one side ? Since they are kind of a funnel
Like all new things it has to be tried

Still would be nice to get the one guide and be able to use whatever runners ya want

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster