I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need blank recommendation for sheepshead
Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 20, 2013 08:53PM

A friend has asked me to build him a 6'-0" to 6'-6" sheepshead rod. He will apparently be fishing in tight areas around pilings and doesn't want to go longer than 6'-0" if possible. The extent of my knowledge on sheepshead rods is that they need a sensitive tip and a good amount of power for potentially horsing a fish from around pilings. Any specific blank recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need blank recommendation for sheepshead
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 20, 2013 10:09PM

In some waters they get pretty big. In my area they don't usually. So tailor power of the rod to the waters fished. In any case, I like a fairly light and sensitive rod with a somewhat stiff tip for its power. A salt water grade, medium power (8-17# rating), St. Croix is just such a rod. Only problem might be getting one that short. I "think" they have a 6'6" in the SC 3 line.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2013 02:45AM

Pete is right on with the medium action rod.

Many many rods out there that meet the requirement. I don't think you need to go quite that heavy unless you are catching really big fish on a regular basis. A 6 foot blank rated for 6-12 lb line is just fine for most of these fish.

Remember, if the rod has the right tip for sensitivity, you can always chop the blank of a longer rod to make is shorter. If the tip is right - never chop the tip.

Be safe

Date: July 21, 2013 11:49AM

Thanks guys- I actually have a Rainshadow SW967 on hand that I'm considering chopping to 6'-6". That would result in a blank with a fast tip and plenty of backbone but from what you guys are saying, perhaps I don't need such a beefy blank? This rod will be used around Oregon Inlet, NC and other eastern NC saltwater areas. It is entirely possible that it will haul in a Florida-size sheepshead but my guess is that would be the exception and not the typical catch.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2013 12:23PM

I can't see chopping up a good blank like the SW967 blank to make a rod for sheephead. Around Galveston we catch sheephead with any rod, from ultra light to popping rods. And these are fished around bridge pilings. You can buy an inexpensive blank from Batson or MHX for around $40. I am thinking of something like a spinjig blank. Check with Lance at Swampland Tackle. He carries a variety of blanks that would fit your purpose. On the other hand, the SW967 blank can be used for light offshore duty, a light surf rod, a pier rod, etc.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 21, 2013 07:47PM

Hello Pete

If you want to bring them in (Drag Them By Their Lips) Calstar "E" glass- Regulation Series.
RT12-B 5'6" long, .645 butt, 10 tip, 12# line wt, the Action is listed as "I.G.F.A." Which makes it a pretty slow to medium blank.

If you want some finesse try a Matrix "Spin Jig".
AMSJ722 a6' blank,.437 butt, 4.5 tip, 6-12# line wt, action listed as fast, power as medium.

All depends on how much challenge (or not) you want, I have a 13' telescoping crappie rod I put guides on I'd like to try on a pier sometime should be fun.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 22, 2013 06:29AM

I wouldn't chop up the SWB967 either. Any number of decent spin/jig blanks should do nicely. I mentioned the st. croix only because I have one. I find it capable of fishing both ends of its rating. This works well when you have a reel with two spools. In my case I have 8# mono on one and 15# braid on the other.

When I think sheepshead I think barnacle covered pilings. For that reason alone I'd go with a more powerful blank. I couldn't see myself using less than 10# test.

FWIW Utmost has a 3 power, 6 foot, spin/jig blank on closeout.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2013 04:21PM

Pete,
I think this is just the ticket for your needs.
[www.mudhole.com]

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: July 22, 2013 09:43PM

Thanks Todd- that looks like just the blank.

Russ- my thoughts exactly: barnacle encrusted, rough concrete pilings.........

And thanks very much for everyone's replies and e-mails and recommendations.

My SW967 blank has survived this close encounter unmolested and will one day assume it's new identity as a rod in it's full length !!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster