I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Clean epoxy lines
Posted by: Arthur Long (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: July 20, 2013 10:17AM

How do you get clean straight lines on your wraps when applying finish? I know there are some who have a pretty steady hand, some use wood blocks to support their hands, I've even seen video of a builder that uses tape to build a kind of barrier. I'm just exploring some alternatives to free hand.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clean epoxy lines
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 20, 2013 10:34AM

Apply it as it spins on your lathe using a brush. Press teh brush against teh wrap, the epoxy will "bubble" at each end of the brush, move that bubble so that it barely goes off teh thread and onto teh blank.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 20, 2013 01:31PM

I do it exactly as Billy said and it works. Some years ago someone posted the same question and one of the responses was ;" Push up a "tire" with your brush and roll it off the edge of the thread while spinning the rod. Billy used the word "bubble" in the same context. The word " Tire" stuck in my mind .

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2013 03:23PM

When doing the edges, I use my power wrapper to spin the rod at about 50 rpm. easy to get a perfect line when the rod is spinning.

Posted by: Craig Mullins (---.dhcp.mtgm.al.charter.com)
Date: July 20, 2013 08:16PM

All that, and practice. High RPM helps too.

150-200 RMP will give you instant straight and crisp finish lines, as long as you have relatively calm hands.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.unas.al.charter.com)
Date: July 21, 2013 08:00AM

The above method is excellent. You will have to play with your RPMs to get the right behavior with different finishes Only problem is you need a power wrapping / finishing machine to apply that way.

You can also get really good results by hand. I mix and apply my finish with a metal spatula. I rotate the rod by hand while I do this. I essentially put heavy finish on all the wraps quickly and then begin rotating the rod 180 degrees at a time (spine up, spine down) as the finish sags. Once the finish has been on a while - 18 - 22 minutes or so - I will go back and use the spatula to run a bead of epoxy around the rod off the edige of the wraps. Letting the finish thicken a bit gives you very consistent edges as it sort of resists getting pushed out onto the blank...hard to describe but you'll see what I mean. I will then also remove excess epoxy and gently heat to remove any remaining bubbles. Once it is starting to thicken and looks right, I put it on a dryer to rotate for the next few hours.

All times are at about 72 degrees so it will take longer in colder temps and not as long in warmer temps Spatulas are available at some of the sponsors on the left or through dental supply mail order houses. Hope this helps - good luck!

Posted by: Chuck Blocker (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 02:42PM

I simply use celophane tape. Put it where you want the straight line, apply finish, wait about 30 -45 minutes remove tape. So far perfect line every time.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 04:03PM

High RPM and a hand rest

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster