I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Effective" rod length
Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 18, 2013 12:45AM

Does lengthening the grip negate any of the added casting distance of a longer rod? (all else being equal)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Effective" rod length
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 18, 2013 01:44AM

Hi Mike,
I presume your talking about the rear grip. If you are able to handle the length comfortably then adding to the rear grip length should increase your casting distance. At some point in length each person will get a diminishing return and then any extra will decrease the distance. Each person is different so that length will be different. You need to find what the best length is for your style and ability for each type of rod. Once the length of the rod is not ideal for you, ie too long to handle comfortably, then grip length won't make a lot of difference.
At some point the rear grip length will also become uncomfortable to fight a fish with so the rear grip length may need to be a compromise between casting distance and ease of fish fighting.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2013 01:52AM by Col Chaseling.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2013 08:08AM

Mike,
Of course.

Basically, the casting length of the rod is the distance from the center of the reel seat to the tip of the rod.

Longer rear grip - shorter effective casting rod.

Be safe

Date: July 18, 2013 08:16AM

Mike,
I used to be concerned about this, but not any more.
I just basically assume that you can subtract a foot off the real length of the rod, to get the effective casting length of the rod and go from there.

Over a lot of different rods, the typical grip and reel seat is going to be in the area of a foot, so I just round them all off and call them a foot.

Thus a 7 foot rod, is really a 6 foot casting distance more or less and I just go from there.

Some rods will have a bit shorter grip, some a bit longer grip.

The one thing that a lot of folks miss out - if they want to maximize their casting distance is to cast two handed. For years and years, I really never ever cast with other than one hand. Then one day, I was fishing with a friend, both using similar rods and lure weights. He was consistently outcasting me by a significant distance. I also noticed almost the crack of a whip sound that his rod had whenever he cast. I also noticed that he was always casting with both hands. So, I inquired about his two handed casting. His reply was simply this, "Try it, you might like it."

Certainly after adopting a two handed casting pattern, my casting distance increased by many feet. The key thing is the increased speed of the rod tip that one gets by casting with two hands. Hence the sound of the whip crack as the lure and tip speed is getting so much faster than one ever gets by casting with one hand.

Be safe

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2013 12:33PM

Rear grip length all depends upon what type of fishing and casting you are going to do, as well as how you are going to hold the rod while fighting the fish. Both have to be compatible. If you build for one of these alone you will be dissatisfied with the rod.

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 18, 2013 01:05PM

Thanks guys. That's about where I was at on this but affirmation by you all is always good. Thanks again.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: July 18, 2013 05:04PM

It seems that some clarification is needed regarding effective rod length. It is the distance from the tip to the butt when the rod is loaded. Hence, the effective rod length will be different for various people using the same rod and different rods of the same physical length.

Here's a reference:

[macbrownflyfish.com]
Scroll down to Effective Rod Length.

On a similar note, understanding the class of lever is useful. (2 handed casting)
Fishermen may cast class 3 with the left remaining low on the butt while punching forward with the right.
Some cast class 1 with the right acting as a pivot while the left pulls the butt into the chest.
And of course there is Punch & Pull. Punch forward with the right and pulling with the left.

[www.technologystudent.com]

Don Becker

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 18, 2013 10:33PM

Hello Folks

Are we talking Spin, Cast, Lob, or Fly?

Randolph seems to have it right to me, but I am not sure of the context.

Tight Wraps & Straight Casts.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 20, 2013 01:04PM

I could be way off, and if I am, somebody may correct me and we both might learn something.

Consider the guys that mount the reel low and thumb the spool with their weak hand. They have no butt grip to speak of. Now where do they place the strong hand when casting? I'm going to suggest that the greater the spread between the two hands the more strength/torque one can develop. The opposite would be the closer the two hands, the more speed one develops (assuming they can handle the weight of the blank and payload).

I suppose you could consider the effective length the distance between the strong hand and the deflected tip of the rod. However I don't think that paints a clear picture as to effective casting distance. I think anyway of looking it must consider the weight of rod and payload combined with the ability of the caster to accelerate it.

Suppose we consider extremes. If you have an UL rod with a 1/16" ounce lure I doubt it would matter the spread between your hands. In fact I'd suggest there would be little difference between using one hand and two. The rod and the payload is so light in this case that you can accelerate it easily with one hand. Therefore you might as well keep the butt grip short. On the other extreme we have a heavy 14 foot surf rod throwing bait and eight. Now two hands are certainly required. I' could see wanting a spread of upwards of three/four feet between weak and strong hand.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 21, 2013 02:52AM

Russell ,
I agree with your completely.
But I will go further by suggesting that for my definition the effective fishing length of the rod is the distance from the face of the reel to the tip of the rod.

Then, the length of the butt needs to be sized to make the rod a good one. But, I personally don't feel that the grip behind the reel is part of the effective fishing rod. Sure you need it, but for hook setting and fish fighting, the significant length is from the reel to the tip.

Be safe

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2013 05:18PM

Roger, I would like to see you set the hook and fight the fish without a proper length of rear grip. It is there for a purpose, and it is a large part of what makes an effective fishing rod.

Date: July 22, 2013 08:42AM

Randy,
I would never advocate the use of a grip that is not "correct" in length for the particular rod and the type fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster