I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork
Posted by: Mark Bonnell (---.vfserver.com)
Date: July 15, 2013 07:24PM

Can anyone here advise which dealers or sponsors grade their cork by the Rodmaker cork grade scale? I am through buying cork with terms like flor or AAA. Please advise. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork
Posted by: Mark Tobiasz (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 15, 2013 07:39PM

As I'm only familiar with grading that uses Flor, AAA , A& better, etc, I'd like to ask what the Rodmaker grading system is.

Forgive me, but I started building rods over 20 years ago and it's been a while since I've purchased any cork. I'd bought a closeout of grips and AA rings some time ago and haven't needed any. Heck, I still have some glued up cork sticks I bought from Clemens.
So, what's the scoop?

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 15, 2013 07:48PM

Mark Tobiasz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As I'm only familiar with grading that uses Flor,
> AAA , A& better, etc, I'd like to ask what the
> Rodmaker grading system is.
>
> Forgive me, but I started building rods over 20
> years ago and it's been a while since I've
> purchased any cork. I'd bought a closeout of grips
> and AA rings some time ago and haven't needed any.
> Heck, I still have some glued up cork sticks I
> bought from Clemens.
> So, what's the scoop?

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 15, 2013 08:03PM

Neither "flor" nor "AAA" represent anything in particular. Either can be good, or terrible, and still be correct. The RodMaker cork grade scale is the only cork grade scale with a representative scale behind it.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Walt Foreman (---)
Date: July 15, 2013 11:49PM

Have any cork dealers begun conforming to this system yet? I for one would make a point of patronizing such a dealer. More than once I have had the experience of ordering cork listed as the highest grade for that dealer - sometimes Flor, sometimes several As - only to have it arrive and be highly disappointed in the quality.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2013 02:11AM

Mark,
Simply put, if you are unsure of a vendor or cork quality, buy a few rings and ask the supplier for "true" representative samples of the lot type.
Most vendors will honor your request.

Then, if you order a few hundred or few thousand rings, you will not be surprised.

The other thing to consider in these days of lower and lower grades of cork due to the world wide diminishing supply, consider building rods with materials other than cork.

This is the primary reason why many many rod manufacturers are either going to grips that use almost no cork, like a rod with a split grip that uses 4 rings behind the reel seat, no fore grip and a butt cap of a different material.

Lots of other manufacturers are going to composite, plastic, fiberglass or foam grips as well.

Be safe

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 16, 2013 03:22AM

Hi Mark,
Far as I know nobody has adopted the Rodmaker scale which is definitely a shame.
Even Cork4U, sponsor, still uses the old scale. Their best grade is top flor which is about the best you will find these days.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.65.---)
Date: July 16, 2013 07:26AM

I think Bingham uses the Rodmaker scale. At least it was shown on their website for the cork they sell.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 16, 2013 08:46AM

Bingham and Picky Bastard were both using the RodMaker scale. Unfortunately, neither got enough support to continue sales. People were too willing to risk direct importation OR didn't want to pay for the domestic service (importation, grading, etc.). The only current option is to take your chances UNLESS you can find a vendor that is willing to give you a guaranteed return policy, including paid/shared shipping expense. I do recommend that you start/continue to encourage vendors to adopt the RodMaker Cork Grading System, it works very well and it removes nearly all subjective opinion from the sales/purchasing aspect.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 16, 2013 11:29AM

I( pretty much quit buying cork a few years ago due to the high cost/low quality and lack of any standard consistency. I use wood, burl or exotic cork and people love it and I know exactly what I'm getting when I order it

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2013 12:39PM

Mike,
Out of curiosity, in the interest of saving weight, have you ever made a handle of Balsa Wood?

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 16, 2013 01:22PM

I found that Cork4Us FLOR grade is very good CG3 and maybe CG2. If their Top FLOR is better, it would be really good cork.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster