I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pink Rod Blank
Posted by: Matt Caplis (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2013 10:07PM

I've searched for a pink rod blank and can't find any that won't fade due to UV. Lamiglass had one, but it will eventually fade. Does anyone know a company that produces a quality blank and paints them with UV protection? I've read on this forum that some people use auto body shops to paint their blanks. What do you ask for when you request they paint a blank? Obviously pink paint, but is there a clear coat with UV inhibitors you ask them to use? I do not want to paint blanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pink Rod Blank
Posted by: Robert Gilbertson (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: July 15, 2013 01:47AM

Mud Hole has pink blanks. I would call them and ask about their guarantee.

Posted by: bobby stout (147.58.99.---)
Date: July 15, 2013 01:19PM

I have buitl a couple of the Pink rods from Mud Hole they are a couple of years old now still look good

Bobby Stout
Bloomburg, TX

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.static.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 15, 2013 03:12PM

Matt,
built a bunch of ords from pink blanks from Mud Hole on their CRB line and no fading or chipping and these were youth rods so they took some abuse. I would call them a "salmon pink" and not a "pink panther pink" if that makes a difference.

My customers love'em

Buzz

Posted by: Andres Perez (---.coastalsystemsint.com)
Date: July 15, 2013 04:35PM

Matt,

The Mudhole pink blanks work great. I did leave one in direct sunlight and the color faded to white. This is the extreme case and the remainder of the blanks have no issues with regular use.

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: July 15, 2013 04:59PM

Only thing I'm not reading is what kind of blank? Fly ... Spin ... Bait?

Posted by: Matt Caplis (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2013 08:21PM

Thanks everyone for the input!

Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 20, 2013 09:24AM

I paint rod blanks but am new to doing it. I have yet to have any of these panted rods see uv exposure for any length of time. However with high quality automotive paint you should not see any degrading of color for quite a while. i mean a car sits outside for quite a while before it starts to degrade. I do not think any rod will see that kind of exposure.
A pro to painting the blank is that you can use any blank you want. you probably wont find a blank that has the specs you want in pink. If you do thats awesome your done.
A con is the added weight to the blank and what problems the added weight will add to the characteristics of that particular blank.
One simple paint solution is to spray the blank with tamiya hobby paint and then clear coat it with spraymax 2k clear. Still that is like 30 bucks right there so kinda expensive, but you get what you want. Please spray spraymax outside it is a 2k clear and highly toxic. Use of a respirator is also recommended. People also say that they use duplicolor spray paint (any auto store has this usually) and then wait 24 hours and apply permagloss. I have never been able to do this but people say it come out great so its probably a lack of experience or technique on my part. This is an inexpensive solution at around15 bucks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster