I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help choosing a blank for fluke fishing
Posted by: Sean Waldron (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 08, 2013 01:30PM

Hello everybody. My name is Sean and I am new to this forum. I have built a couple of freshwater bass rods, but I need a little help with the saltwater stuff.

I am looking for some blank suggestions for a fluke(summer flounder) rod. I currently fish for fluke with a custom built G. Loomis GL3 MB883. This is an awesome rod for bouncing sinkers from 1-4 ounces. I am looking to build a 6 1/2-7 foot baitcasting/conventional rod that can handle 5-9 ounces of lead. It will also be used occasionally for striped bass fishing with clams. I prefer a graphite rod, but will consider a composite build too.

Should I use a graphite or an aluminum reel seat?

And lastly, should I use an underwrap under the guides?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Sean

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help choosing a blank for fluke fishing
Posted by: Greg Cudnik (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: July 08, 2013 02:46PM

You've got lots of options. Look at the Seekers gts70h and stcroix 2m69xhf both very different blanks but both great ocean fluke/striper rods.

It's up to you but I would stay away from an aluminum seat.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2013 04:54PM

Have built Fluke Striper rods on this with no Complants, or you can go to the 70M which makes a great boat chunking rod

RCLB70ML CG 7'0" 1 20-40lbs 2-6oz 0.880 7.5 X-Fast ML 8.24oz Salt Water Live bait/iron/all purpose

Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 08, 2013 06:47PM

i gotta highly suggest the seeker hercules gts70L. it would do what you want for sure. thats my ocean fluke rod anyway

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 08, 2013 07:05PM

Hercules gts70L ..........great set up

Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 09, 2013 09:58PM

you can get the gts70l for like a 100 bucks and it will smash any fluke and can handle strippers if your clam chumming. I would possibly go heavier for a live bait rod for bass though. To get a comparable blank in st croix, phenix, lamiglas will flat out cost you more money probably like 50-100 dollars more. G loomis doesnt sell blanks anymore b/c the were bought by shimano and they keep everything proprietary (means only they have it). i think this drives up perceived market value for their products, but @#$%& for rod builders. good luck dude

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 09, 2013 10:12PM

Hercules

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 10, 2013 06:42AM

Thank you everybody for your help. I only fish for stripers about once a year so this rod will be primarily for fluke. I am going to go with the hercules gts 70l with an avet reel. I am going to use titanium virtus guides. What size guides on this build? Sorry for all of the questions.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 10, 2013 07:10AM

get in touch with Billy Vivona he will set you up

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 10, 2013 09:34AM

That Inshore Lite will handle everything that you plan on doing Inshore (with teh exception of trolling - lol). If you are out Fluking and see the birds working and need to put a jig on, it's an excellent jigging rod, if you go chunking or live lining - Bass to 49#'s that I know of have been caught on it. FOr Fluke it's ideal for 3-8oz, but it will handle 2 & 10oz as well if needed.

Date: July 10, 2013 01:59PM

Thank you all for the advice. I have spoken to Billy Vivona and gotten the answers to my questions.

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 10, 2013 07:00PM

Billy will hook u up and direct you in the right direction and you can purchase everything from him.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster