I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wood Handle Mortise Jig
Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: July 02, 2013 02:24PM

Hello All -

Several years ago, a gentleman who was a very accomplished wood worker wrote a few articles for RodMaker (I think) and provided some tutuorials on line about how to make wooden spinning rod handles. He did some really beautiful custom inlays and patterns but what caught my eye was his work with Fuji IPS seats.

Specifically, he shared plans for a jig / fixture that could be used to bore and mortise / sand a grip that fit the IPSM / IPSD seats perfectly. I had no interest in making wooden handles so I really didn't pay attention to it other than noting how clever the idea was and how well he executed it. His grips were certainly very nice.

Now however I would like to make urethane pour foam grips that fit the IPS exactly and couuld use the jig. But for the life of me I can't remember that gentleman's name, find his website, or find any relevant posts here or on the photo page regarding his articles / tutorials. Does any one remember who I am talking about or by chance have the tutorial / jig plans? Thanks!

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wood Handle Mortise Jig
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2013 02:50PM

It's either going to be Ray Jorgensen or Joe Emig.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: July 02, 2013 02:51PM

Ray Jorgensen...thanks!

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 02, 2013 05:07PM

This is one of my favourite grips. I have a copy of the tutoriaI I can send you if you want - the pics didn't come out so good in the copy I have, but the text is ok. I had also found the following message some time ago, from Ray as well, describing the fixture. It might be here on this site, or in the archives. I also have other messages and pics from Rich Gassman who also made these very well. I made my own jig following these instructions using 2x4's and bondo and it works remarkably well.

Re: Can Fuji's handle for the IPSM be duplicated?
Posted by: Ray Jorgensen (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 08, 2006 09:54PM

Hey guys, I'm still around. Just checking in every couple of days.

All you need to do is buy one of these grips. Use it to make a form. Take a 2X4 plow out the middle of it to fit the diameter - use a dado blade in a table saw, router, chisel, what ever. Next step, get some bondo (auto body filler) put it into the groove you just cut in the 2X4 - wrap the grip with wax paper and push it into the groove. Whe the bondo has set ( 20 minutes or so) pull the grip out. Next you have to mark for the cut out "scarf" as you've called it. You want this to be parallel, so carefully trace the "scarf" on the side of the 2X4 and cut the waste out. Carefully sand to the line with what ever and you now have a jig to index your handle blank once properly sized to fit the jig.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 05:08PM by Steven Libby.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.sub-70-215-148.myvzw.com)
Date: July 04, 2013 11:07AM

Steven -

Thanks so much for chiming in. I'd love to get a copy of the tutorial if you don't mind - falconerb@yhaoo.com is my email address.

Happy 4th everyone.

Bill

Posted by: Frank Lancaster (---.dsl.hickorytech.net)
Date: July 08, 2013 08:25PM

Can I get a copy also?
my email is mybigfish45@gmail.com
Thanks

Posted by: steve clark (---.cstel.net)
Date: July 13, 2013 06:42AM

Is it too late to pile on for a copy of the tutorial . . . and Many Thanks !

SMNClark@ComSouth.net

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster