I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Model No on blank or not?
Posted by: Chad Huderle (67.50.130.---)
Date: July 01, 2013 07:31PM

Up to this point I've always included the rod specs from the manufacturer on each rod I've built . This includes such details as length, lure weight, line weight, action and speed.

I've also included the manufacturer model number, i.e. XMB783. I've received calls from prospective customers asking to have a rod built with specifics they prefer and then want to know what manufacturer's model I'd recommend. Then once they have the info and the price I'd require I never hear from them again. I'm sure they are taking the info and going to another builder who then says they can build that exact rod cheaper. I already know this has happened to other builders in my area.

So my question for everyone here who builds for customers is this, do you make up proprietary model numbers that equate to a specific manufacturers number to put on the rod blank? Do you even bother and instead just supply length, lure weight, line weight, action and speed?

I'd be interested in hearing how you all handle this and your reasons why.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Model No on blank or not?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 01, 2013 08:42PM

I do not put make or model, including numbers on any of the rods I build. The only exception is for close friends, I will put the make, such as MHX or Forecast, etc. I only build fly rods.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2013 09:25PM

Nothing unless a customer asks for it.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2013 09:53PM

I put line and lure wt. , date and my own ID # such as 2013-8. The #8 rod I made in 2013. Also my name as maker. I The file my rod record with all information about the customer and the rod I made for him/her.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2013 11:03PM

Interesting. I always put the blank mfg. and model on the blank. Curious as to why you would leave it off.

Terry

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 01, 2013 11:17PM

Chad, this happens to all of us. It happens to me constantly, so much so that I made up different model numbers and names for blanks tht I recommend, this way I "cornered the market" on my advice and knowledge. IT sickens me when I waste time with somoene in my own home/shop telling them what to get, and having it right there - only to have them show up at my house a couple of months later with questions on a dEc WRap with a rod built from my recommensations that they went and purchased elsewhere. I don't know what world these people live in to think that's Ok, but it's so common that I had to do what I did.

Would you be surprised if people looked at my shade packs at shows and attempted to write down the thread color numbers so they could order them form somewhere else...only to find out that I hid all the color numbers. Or people pressing me where I got the Variegated Swirl EVA from - if you want it buy it, if not don't waste my time. I told one guy at a show that I got it from underneath the table. The other 10 people at the booth laughed, and he had no clue what I meant.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.co.shawnee.ks.us)
Date: July 02, 2013 10:34AM

Since i do not build for a living, i have no problem telling someone which blanks i like and would reccommend for their application. I don't care if they take their business elsewhere it is a hobby for me. No one can build one cheaper than me if i don't want them to. If i knew someone was hiding some pertinet information or i found it out, i wouldn't buy from them be it anything. Your quality and honesty should speak volumes to your customers, if it does not then you probably didn't want them as clients anyways, let them go be the complainer to the "cheapest or cheaper builder", when they realize that they should have had you do it in the first place and they will, they will have just learned a lesson that cheap is not always bestest!!

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 02, 2013 01:52PM

If the customer is all about wanting a brand x rod then I will put the factory information on there with mine. Most of the time they want one of my rods and I leave the distracting brand x logo off and just put mine in its place.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 02, 2013 02:17PM

If that happens Just put specs on But no company name
If they ask Tell them it is your own
Ya got to do something
I get emails How much for such a rod I know he is looking for price
I return Quality comes with a guarantee Give a high price
Price no guarantee Send them to WalMart

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster