I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave guides?
Posted by: Will Dea (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2013 01:57AM

Hey fellas, whom already have built spinning rods around the MWG system?

Wondering what your impressions are?

I am contemplating a build using them but I wonder if in lighter line and lure weight applications (2-6lb tests, 1/8-1/4oz) if there is an noticeable advantage to the standard cone guides?

I can see when using heavier mono/floro/braid and lures there needs to be more control of line flow/velocity through the guides.

However I wonder at lighter line/lure weights, what advantage does the MWG system have over standard cone line of flight guides.

I may not be thinking this right but if the rod loads up due to action and lure weight and pulls the line off the spool (spinning), it would seem to me that the first MWG stripper guide would seem to lessen line velocity due to uncoiling of the line versus a standard cone stripper guide?

Bob or Darin want to chime in and educate me/us please?

Thanks!

Will

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave guides?
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 29, 2013 06:44AM

I almost exclusively build with them, because almost everyone that takes the microwave challenge has to have them (that says a lot) I have put them on everything from ultra light to heavy rods and they work!! Using the spacing that ATC recommends on the first 3 guides from the butt is the the key to having everything work smoothly and efficiently, if you try to set them up traditionally you will be disappointed. Try a set, you will love them.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dsl.chibardun.net)
Date: June 29, 2013 07:24AM

Will, i have built 3 Mud Hole MHX UL and 2 Mud Hoel MHX Light spin rods using the MW guides. i also fished my challenge rods (side by side comparision rods with cone of flight) just yesterday using the UL rods. The two guys fishing with me were AMAZED at the increase in distance and accuracy. Dont worry about going with the lighter power rods, its works great with them.

We were casting small plastics and jig heads for panfish and caught a 18 1/2" smallmouth.

Big thumbs up for the MW guides on light blanks, especially on the Mud Hole MHX UL and light blanks.

Buzz

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2013 09:42AM

Will,

I built myself a Drop Shot rod about a year ago to try them out for myself. I typically use 5 - 6 lb. test on the rod. I was impressed with them from very first cast. I first saw the guides at the ICAST Show in Las Vegas a couple of years ago. At that time I thought to myself "what a gimmick".

How wrong I was! They are great... cast further, the line seems to be much more quite passing through the guides and line control seems to be improved, (reduced twist with fluorocarbon line). I haven't gotten a lot of enthusiasm from my clients about them; so, I loan them my D/S rod to try and they too are impressed. I currently building another rod with them and 'will use them on all of my personal rods in the further. American Tackle Company has a winner there!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 29, 2013 10:24AM

I have built a test rod for satlwater flats with them. This is a little heavier P844-MHX. It works well on that rod. Generally I found that the rod casts better than the typical cone of flight layout, but about the same as a good Fuji New Concept layout. It does have a different feel and sound though.

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.185.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: June 29, 2013 12:32PM

I build heaps of rods and like Don I use them pretty much exclusivley, best guides on the market and now you can order Tidal Wave versions in Titanium they just got even better, I could give you about 100 customer testimonials they all love them, I have even had a fair few customers send me their other rods to fit MWG's to because they are so impressed.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lnse2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 29, 2013 07:33PM

G'day Mark

Could you please enlighten me on the Tidal Wave version are you saying that the micro waves are coming out in titanium ?

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 29, 2013 07:35PM

Ray, the running guides are titanium and the butt and transition guides are ti coated.

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lnse2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 29, 2013 07:45PM

G'day Don

Thanks for your speedy reply.Just had a quick check on the American tackle website and couldnt find anything.That makes things very interesting for me
i am in the process of building a few rods with the microwaves but not for me.I was hoping they would eventually come out in titanium one day.Hopefullly
Mark can bring some down next SEARBs meeting to check out.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Arthur Long (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 29, 2013 11:38PM

Will, I'm still a newbie to rodbuilding and there was a local rodbuilding show here. A rep for AT took me outside for a hands on demo. Needless to say all it took was that one time and I was hooked. (no pun intended) :-) For me they are worth it. Just finished building a Batson 7ft. ML spinner with them. Awesome product and idea.

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.185.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: June 30, 2013 12:16AM

Hi Ray,

I will have them and a few other newer products for you guys to check out at the SEARBs meet up mate. Im also hoping to do a live video hook up with Darrin and Ben from American Tackle Co so you guys can ask any questions to the guys themselves just going through the skpe set up stuff now so that should be a great opportunity for everyone.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Posted by: Arthur Wamback (8.7.228.---)
Date: June 30, 2013 09:58AM

Billy Vivona had me cast a rod with the Microwave set up. Then I built a Croix SCV 7' MLF with the Nanolite set. Best rod I've ever had, and the Microwave system delivers as promised.

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2013 10:33PM

the only spinning guides i use now

Posted by: Will Dea (---.dsl.sca.megapath.net)
Date: July 03, 2013 10:07AM

Thanks for all the replies fellas!

I am definitely going with the MWG system, just waiting for the release of the TidalWaves after ICAST.

Will

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster