I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro fishing blank.
Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.midco.net)
Date: June 28, 2013 10:13AM

I have a guy looking for a micro fishing rod. (Not to be confused with a rod that has micro guides)
I have researched this and it is basically fishing for minnows. Very small fish, very small hooks, lightest of line, etc. Also, no reel. Similar to Tenkara, but lighter and smaller.

My initial thought was to use a long ultra light or micro light ice fishing blank, but can't locate anything over 36".
The finished rod should be somewhere between 4.5 and 7'. And a standard 5' glass ultralight blank is quite a bit more powerful (Ya, I just said that) than required.

So, I am trying to located the lightest, daintiest, whippiest noodle blank I can find. Something a 3" creek chub can put a good bend in.
Looking for suggestions.

Thanks
Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro fishing blank.
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 28, 2013 11:17AM

take a look here Maybe some thing may fit the bill
[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Paul Zynosky (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2013 11:31AM

Maybe the top half of a long two piece, very light weight fly rod?

Paul Zynosky
"Z/~~*"

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 28, 2013 11:43AM

What about a 6'6 2 pc 2 wt fly rod RX 6 --Utmost has these

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Josh Clawson (---.midco.net)
Date: June 28, 2013 12:09PM

I've got an SP720-4 that is way overkill. I think that I may have to look to alternatives outside of actual rod blanks. Possibly a thin fiberglass shaft and sand it down. I've been all over the internet and the only thing that I can find is a little info on Tanago rods from Japan. Exactly what I'm looking for, but they are about $150. I assume most of that cost has to do with getting them here...

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2013 01:11PM

You can find some graphite telescopic rods in Europe (ITALY) use for catching bleak.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 28, 2013 02:53PM

You might try Thorne Bros. I'd call them rather than looking online since they only seem to list stock size ice blanks, but in their custom department, I know they offer many longer rods on request. You probably can get longer untrimmed blanks from them.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 28, 2013 05:25PM

Maybe something like an UL fibreglass blank with a short solid glass ice rod blank sent up thru the hollow butt and epoxied into place.
Kind of a custom "ugly" rod?
Batson SPG601 and Ice Rod Panfish blank,, here are links;
[www.schneidersrods.com]
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 28, 2013 06:35PM

Phenix Elixir Ultra Light Trout/Panfish Blank, 5'6", 1-4lb, FX561-1

Posted by: Razvan Matei (---.rdsnet.ro)
Date: June 28, 2013 08:10PM

A slow rod would get the bend even from a 3 inch baitfish if it has the right power, especially if it is longer. Some time ago you were looking for a fly blank hence you should be already aware of the ccs data mudhole lists for the MHX fly blanks. The 6ft6in 3 piece < .230 butt diameter is around 1 ERN, which means lighter than some triple 0s Sage as in general shorter blanks are lighter and slower.

Also at least one of the sponsors is carrying a great discount on batson blanks and the IS660 is a 5ft6in blank with a butt diameter of .230 and a price of less than 28$ or so.

Those Tanago rods and the ultralight Japanese rods and blanks in general have tip diameters of 0.8 to 0.5 mm and some of them are spliced (solid carbon) at the tip. Matagi offers some blanks with 0.8 mm / 2.0 <64th of an inch> tip and a .230 butt, so maybe there is something in their catalog to cover the needs. I've seen something good in both the freshwater and the saltwater sections.

What is wrong with a rudd/roach winter ready / canal match float rod? Are those European little fellows bigger and more powerful than a 3 inches creek chub? Harrison has one that is the finest rod in the United Kingdom and it was so for over 25 years ; nowadays technology can't improve it much, as the producers say it. Dunno if I can link the manufacturer's page where they state that it is spliced, short handle plus two pieces of 5 ft each, so one could use the tip section and is called gti special match, but that, a matagi blank and probably an extended ice rod blank are just some real alternatives, if they are left naked, to some true tool, a 20 grams 6 foot Tanago jdm rod.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 28, 2013 10:52PM

Hello Josh

2X on the "Elixir".

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Abram Harrison (---.dsl.teksavvy.com)
Date: June 28, 2013 11:01PM

There is a US tenkara website that sells tanago rods at a reasonable price.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2013 09:27AM

Pretty easy.
I do it all of the time.
The thing that you want is a soft whippy tip for the first two feet.

Just take a $2 26 inch glass blank for little fish, and glue it into the end of a suitable size of scrap rod that you have laying around.

Very easy and very simple and will do exactly what you want.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster